Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pulsed MIG v. TIG

I have a potential job that is a water tank,

The longest weld is 17" in length. Shortest weld is 7".
    95" of weld length in total.

Material is 3003 AL .125" thick.

This tank will be hidden too. And possibly powder coated.

From A speed standpoint MIG will be much faster IMO. TIG will produce a better
    looking weld.

My power sources are
    Synchrowave 250
    Invision 456 with Optima Pulser pendant

With this all said what process would you guys use?

Thanks guys.

Tom

My personal opinion, pulse is for people that can't weld correctly and want to cheat in order to make it look good.

Not sure I understand?
    If u can't weld and can make ur weld look good with pulse then if u can weld u can make a weld look great.
    But it's about Quality 1st. & foremost then speed, need to make profit or u wolnt be in business long. As for me I weld stick, O/A, mig, tig. Personally tig is my last choice just takes to long but sometimes it's the best or only choice.
    Likewise pulse is not always the best choice but it has its qualities also, u get great penetration with less heat & distortion. Also it is very fast. If its hidden & painted my choice is pulse mig. Take ur girl out for dinner with extra profit.

Quote Originally Posted by looking View Post
    My personal opinion, pulse is for people that can't weld correctly and want to cheat in order to make it look good.
    Most tank shops have gone from low speed tig to high speed pulse. Identical welds, identical penetration, actually better with the pulse Mig. I'm quite certain the welders know how to weld procedure pulse.

I am all about time. Looks are a factor but when the appearance is close to identical then pulse wins.

Thanks guys!

Tom

As for that comment, when you think about it for a minute it makes absolutely no sense as pointed out previously.

Now for the question at hand. I fab hydraulic tanks out of the same material and the same thickness. The name of the game is obviously the right combination between speed and quality (looks). With the pulsed mig, when done properly, you can get that "stack of dimes look" and still double your speed over TIG. Pulsed MIG is definately the way to go. IMO
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

Thanks Jim!

I'm rebuilding underground Reamers for local company. Welding 4130 alloy and a lot of 1" & 1-1/2 thick metal. I switched to pulse mig with dual metal wire. Very happy with results, much faster, in some areas cut my time by at least 25%.
    Great results, welds holding up as good or better than mig,
    Plus I don't need to switch wire as often, can just turn down and weld 1/8" with .045 wire better than straight mig. Just a no brainer for me, definitely increased my profit.

I'd probably tig weld it only because if I tig it theres almost no need to check it for leaks and we are only talking about 96" of weld.

On The other hand, I dont have a pulsed mig set up and dont know how good they work.
    I have a push/ Pull set up which is a Cabra/Mig 260 which is a good set up for 1/4" and up, so so for 3/16 .

Bunch of cheaters

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...&submit=Search
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus