Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

OK...now a question about the torches. Some are 90 degree. Some 70. I see the term drag torch. What is that. Stand off...I think some torches don't accept one. If understand you want a stand off cutting thicker stuff. Some have pretty short cables.

The extra grunt and lower price of the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42 has got me looking at it. But made in China?

Got a bit turned off the HP 30 after talking to dealer. He would not explain the difference between the HP30 and HP30 G3. HP site sort if reads the G3 is assembled by what they call an affiliate company. So why 200 less than the non G3. Anyway I think they are off the list just for avoiding the question.

I got a cutmaster 42. Love it. After a few months of having it, I am glad I didn't spend the extra money on the other models I was considering.

Some users prefer a 90 degree hand torch (hand grip is 90 degrees from the arc) some prefer a 70 degree. The same is true with MIG welding handles....so it is simply a matter of personal preference.

In regards to the "HP30".....actually is called a Powermax30. There is only one version of it....and it is G3 (generation 3). There are a few different packages available...such as the "All American Edition" which is a promotion to support American Built products. All Hypertherm plasma systems and consumables are built in Hypertherm's facilities in Hanover and Lebanon NH, USA. No exceptions to that.

A drag torch is a hand torch and related consumable parts that are designed for drag cutting with the frontmost part of the torch resting right on the plate. These torches can also be guided along the edge of a template. An exposed nozzle torch can be dragged on the plate if its amperage is less than 35 amps. Over 35 amps and you will get a "double arc" from the nozzle to the plate that will rapidly wear the nozzle and will cause the torch to stick to the plate while dragging...making for a rough cut. Torches above 35 amps in Hypertherm's Powermax product line (up to 200 amps) have shielded technology with a special drag cutting shield that allows easy template or straightedge cutting with no double arcing...and extremely long consumable life.

Hypertherm systems from 45 amps and higher have optional torch lead lengths to as much as 75' long.

Sorry if the Hypertherm dealer was not helpful....and there is no "affiliate company" that builds Powermax30's.....and all Powermax 30's have exactly the same internals and performance levels.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by gsims View Post
    OK...now a question about the torches. Some are 90 degree. Some 70. I see the term drag torch. What is that. Stand off...I think some torches don't accept one. If understand you want a stand off cutting thicker stuff. Some have pretty short cables.

The extra grunt and lower price of the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42 has got me looking at it. But made in China?

Got a bit turned off the HP 30 after talking to dealer. He would not explain the difference between the HP30 and HP30 G3. HP site sort if reads the G3 is assembled by what they call an affiliate company. So why 200 less than the non G3. Anyway I think they are off the list just for avoiding the question.

The "American Built, Building America" version of the Powermax30 is a promotion about American made products. All Hypertherm plasma is American built....and under the fancy painted cover on this unit is the same exact power supply as the regular Powermax 30.

Amps is not what determines maximum thickness....rather, it is the torch design combined with the Killowatt output capability of the power supply. Killowatt output is determined by the rated amperage x the rated maximum load voltage.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by gsims View Post
    Thermo Dynamics, Cutmaster, Miller or HP30. Now the list is even longer! LOL.
    Everyone claims more amps but they all appear to cut the samt thickness?
    For some reason their are 2 HP30's out their and one place lists one as a HP30 American Built and its about 200 bucks less than the one listed as just a HP30. Have sent a message asking the difference but no answer. Anyone know?
    Thermo Dynamics and Cut master my only concern is feed back on them is good or not good. Its almost like if their is a problem its a pain in the butt. And getting replacement parts anywhere. Miller or HP any city will have several dealers.

Default Xtreme vs. non Xtreme

I have owned both and can tell you from experience that if you want to use the 110 volt option, don't even think about the non-Xtreme model. Even at very low settings, it will trip your breaker, even up to 20 amp. The Xtreme is a great improvement, and will cut thicker material on 110 than the non X without tripping breakers.

@Jim Colt
    After your post(s) and a Jay Lenno YouTube review (lol) of the Powermax 30, I order one just now. Got the Building America version and add the HYP128647 filter/water trap as well. Filter a bit pricy but assume its recommended. I also have a large desicant water trap and main line filters on the compressor so should keep clean and dry.

Hopefully it works out well. Thanks for the great info.