Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default not welding but...plasma cutter?

Not a "welding" question so not sure it belongs but bet someone will know the answer.

Just bought the Miller 211 dual volt auto set. Like it...perfect for my needs.

I'm looking at plasma cutters. Its down to Hypotherm 30 or Miller Spectrum 375 X treme. 3/8 is pretty much as thick as i will ever cut.

I'm very close on the Miller. I think it has a nicer gun with the XT30. Like the auto refire, dual voltage and...well its blue!

Any comments?

I have a Miller 211 and a Spectrum 375 (not Extreme). They make a good setup. Will handle anything I need as a home hobbiest, but even in a more demanding shop I think you would be pleased.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

I was thinking of the non extreme 375...its a few bucks less expensive but i think there are a couple options on the extreme worth the marginal difference. Its smaller size will fit on the lower area of my existing welding cart. I think its a bit lighter if I need to lug it around and not sure if the non extreme has the newer gun. I think some do but not all. I think if its as good as the 211 I'll be happy.

I have a thermal dynamics cutmaster 42. I like it a lot. I have cut 1/2" with it. It was slow, but effective. I usually cut 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" but every now and then I need a little bigger. Nice to have the ability. It only needs 3cfm or so of air to run which is great. I've used an 875 and I was disappointed with consumable life. Yes it was running nice dry air. I wouldn't rule out this machine, even for how inexpensive it is.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Between the two, I would go with the HP30, but I have heard good things about the Cutmaster 42 also.

You might also consider the Longevity ForceCut 42i. I won one in their last contest, and it is a nice unit.

I own the 375 x-treme andI have nothing bad to say about it. On one event iv actually done 1/2" too. I use this machin alot and i love it.

Thermo Dynamics, Cutmaster, Miller or HP30. Now the list is even longer! LOL.
    Everyone claims more amps but they all appear to cut the samt thickness?
    For some reason their are 2 HP30's out their and one place lists one as a HP30 American Built and its about 200 bucks less than the one listed as just a HP30. Have sent a message asking the difference but no answer. Anyone know?
    Thermo Dynamics and Cut master my only concern is feed back on them is good or not good. Its almost like if their is a problem its a pain in the butt. And getting replacement parts anywhere. Miller or HP any city will have several dealers.

I just ordered a Spectrum 625 Xtreme unit. Should be just the size I need for my company. Pretty anxious to get it setup and see how it works!

Quote Originally Posted by TSBWeld View Post
    I just ordered a Spectrum 625 Xtreme unit. Should be just the size I need for my company. Pretty anxious to get it setup and see how it works!
    I have the 625 Xtreme and love it. I use it so much more than I thought I would when I bought it.
    Last edited by kvwall; 02-22-2013 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

I bought a td cutmaster because of price and the fact my airgas can get parts. I have had it for a few months and it has been a solid performer. No complaints!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...