Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default welding aluminum question

I've never welded aluminum. Recently bought a 211 and thinking about adding a spool gun. I imagine its a bit different than welding steel. Is the puddle hard to see? Anything else might be worth knowing? Does the low end Miller spool gun work well. I read a bit hard to load the spool but has to be some compromise for price I suspect.

The online videos I have seen with someone using a spool gun on aluminum didn't impress me enough to want one and some of them guys are pretty good welders.

I would really like to try one tho. I just got a mig and need to learn more about it first. Sorry I can't help.

Default welding aluminum question

You will have no problem seeing the puddle. I typically use a shade 11 gold lens when mig welding aluminum.
    As for the spool guns they are decent but you get what you pay for. Bernard makes the best guns in my opinion.

@hardrock...I think you watched the same videos I have! Somewhat the same boat as you as I'm not an expert welder, but done my share. I'm famous for putting down a perfect weld right beside where I wanted it. Admitting I need glasses and auto darkening helmet improved my welding skills greatly.

I had an old Lincoln 150 but too small and was having ongoing issues with it not feeding well. Just got the 211 dual voltage a few months back. Bit I've used it I'm very happy with it.

Don't "need to" weld aluminum...just "want to".

I recently purchased a Miller Mulitmatic 200 and the Spoolmate 100. I've been practicing on some 1/4" alumiinum. Once I got the Spoomate calibrated to the Multimatic, I've found it to be pretty good. I'm not a welder by any stretch of the imagination, but I've got some decent results. As I said, I'm just learning, but for the first try, I was pretty happy. I didn't burn up any tips or nozzles...yet! I hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images