Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

turbo38t Guest

Default Cruizer, need some old school Miller help...

I picked up an old Miller 35S mig/spot welder. It's in good condition and seems to weld ok as far as I can get. It came with a bottle of gas but I can not identify it. It is like greenish/turqoise in color but unlabeled . Is there a way to ID it in the stampings? Secondly, the weld weld lays out decent but I don't think it's getting all the gas or maybe any gas. The regulator was wrong so I changed that. I want to know the proper way to test the solenoid for the gas as I can not hear the gas. The weld isn't neccessarily porous but it is dark gray versus the shiny/light gray u typically get with c25 mig. Is it possible that this is just co2 gas? Usually I can hear the gas and I can't now. I used co2 all the time with 777 wire but never with solid wire. Thanks if u can help. Dave

Your going to get that with straight Argon, and thats likely what the gas in the bottle is.

Default miller 301

Hey Cruizer
    I went and picked up my tb 301 from shop its been sitting in for 22 months. The shop man did not think it was worth the money to fix it. He said a new board is about a grand. Anyway he did something to it and it worked for a day. Then it quit. It fires up and i have generator power but no weld output. If you can help i appreciate it

turbo38t Guest

Thx, I had thought it may have been straight argon but from my experience(screwing up) when u mig with steel and straight argon it's a very narrow, high profile weld bead. This seems to be HOT. The bead is wide and low. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Your going to get that with straight Argon, and thats likely what the gas in the bottle is.

Not difficult to tell a CO2 bottle from Argon. Argon has a center screw on fitting, CO2 has a plastic washer and screws on over the bottle threads.

Straight Argon will make a very dark weld. May even be a stainless mix, We don't know...Never the less, best to verify the gas

Quote Originally Posted by beamwalker View Post
    Hey Cruizer
    I went and picked up my tb 301 from shop its been sitting in for 22 months. The shop man did not think it was worth the money to fix it. He said a new board is about a grand. Anyway he did something to it and it worked for a day. Then it quit. It fires up and i have generator power but no weld output. If you can help i appreciate it

Cause it worked for a day, I'd say F1 fuse is blown, and/or your slip ring brushes are not making good contact with the slip rings which are likely real dirty after sitting so long.

turbo38t Guest

Thx.....this has the washer, I should have thought about that.....it must be co2 as I suspected then. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Cause it worked for a day, I'd say F1 fuse is blown, and/or your slip ring brushes are not making good contact with the slip rings which are likely real dirty after sitting so long.