For 2013, the FIRST robotics game is to shoot Frisbees through various targets and to climb up a 10 foot high pyramid. Our team’s first task was to make the team version of the pyramid. The team version is made of materials that are easy to get such as 1-1/4” pipe, with the corners clamped using U-bolts and plywood. One of our concepts was to have the robot climb up the corner of the pyramid, so we had to build one corner of the competition pyramid, which is slightly different than the team version. The competition version of the pyramid is made of 1-1/2” tubing which has an OD of 1.5” as opposed to the 1-1/4” pipe used on the team version that has an OD of 1.66”. We didn’t want any surprises when we entered our first competition. I made all of the parts for the competition corner and welded them together. We attached the competition corner weldment to a wall for support. Attached are some pictures of this project.
A few notes:
- The swivel mast horizontal saw worked great to cut all of the angles of the tubing, which is shown in picture 2.
- Picture 3 shows the 1.5” drill bit installed directly in the ¾” R8 collet of the milling machine, to save lowering the knee of the milling machine and requiring the use of a ¾” ball bearing chuck.
- I didn’t have a 1.5” diameter end mill to mill the 1.5” slot, so I bored the hole and stepped over about 0.040” for each bore as shown in picture 4. You can hardly see the steps in picture 5. (The large diameter with the relatively small steps averaged out the steps.)
- I used an outside corner end mill to make the ¼” radius on the floor bracket shown on pictures 6 & 10.
- I used two saw horses plus an adjustable table to support the weldment shown with my friend Bill in picture 12.
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Thread: Weldment for FIRST Robotics 2013
02-18-2013, 08:04 PM #1Senior Member
- Join Date
- May 2008
- Troy, MI
Weldment for FIRST Robotics 2013
Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
Miller Dynasty 200DX
Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
16" DuAll Saw
15" Drill Press
7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
20 Ton Arbor Press