Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default using airline quick disconnect for argon line?

hey all

Is anyone using air line quick disconnects for argon lines? I decided to try some and wasn't sure how to test if they leak except for placing them in a bucket of water. I don't really see any bubbles. Would these leak over time? Or are they are pretty reliable? thanks

I made a video if anyone wants to see

Cool

I use Parker 200 series quick connects for my spoolgun/mig gun hook up. No problems over the 5 years i have had them on....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Spray it with some soapy water to better check for leaks, watch for bubbles.

You can use them, Milton is a well known name brand verses the big box store ones.

However, they are not as good as say a western which is what I use and I have them on all my suit case feeders and torches so we are talking about 8 fittings over the last 21 years that I have been using them.

With the cost of mixed gas at around $ 45.00 its not worth it to me, Your better off bucking up and spending the money.

It takes less inert gas than you think, to make a life-threatening situation, especially in a small garage/shop. There is a reason some connectors are rated for air, others are rated for flammalble/oxidizer/inert gases. Use the correct connector for the purpose it was designed for.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Question

Are those rated for that pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Spray it with some soapy water to better check for leaks, watch for bubbles.
    is that better than sticking it in a bucket of water like the video

YES, it will show up the smallest leak that may not be as obvious just being submerged in water. There is a surface tension in clean water and the soap breaks it down so the bubbles show up better. I had 2 tires that would leak down over about a 2 week period, low pressure 12 PSI tires, lawnmower. Water did not show where the leak was, I sprayed it with soapy water(after airing up the tire to 12PSI) and the whole tread area turned to foam from the very minute pinholes(thousands of them). I added SLIME the green stuff, and used the tires a few more years, no leaks for awhile.

Try this for a demonstration. Take a bowl of clean tap water and shake some black pepper over the surface of the water. Then take a bar of soap and touch the water on one side of the bowl. The pepper will move to the opposite side of the bowl away from the soap. The surface tension of the water was broken down by the soap. See if this works for YOU.

I have had them on my Dialarc for years with no problems or leaks, yes I am cheap,I had them, tried them and they work.

Mine is between the machine and the torch, low pressure and only under pressure when I am on the pedal.