Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    turbo38t Guest

Default TIG guys......feeding the filler technique?

What do you guys use for feeding the filler through your fingers without having to pause and restart the arc? I am confident in my welds as long as I don't span more than 6-8" of filler because I am not steady enough to hold it much further out and I am not using proper technique to feed the wire through my gloves. I feel this is what separates a good tig welder from a really good tig welder. Dave

I hold the filler rod like a pencil, and use my thumb to feed the rod through my hand.

There are a couple of videos that Jody did at weldingtipsandtricks.com on aluminum TIG welding where he demonstrates a couple of techniques. Highly recommended.
    _kevin

Syncrowave 250 Analogue
    Maxstar 200SD
    Maxtron 450
    IntelliTIG 40
    S64M Wirefeeder

Non-Blue:
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Lincoln Precision Tig 275
    Lincoln WeldPak 155

I hold the filler rod like a pencil, and use my thumb to move the filler rod along.

There are a couple of Aluminum TIG welding videos at weldingtipsandtricks.com where Jody talks about the various methods of feeding filler rod. Highly recommended.
    _kevin

Syncrowave 250 Analogue
    Maxstar 200SD
    Maxtron 450
    IntelliTIG 40
    S64M Wirefeeder

Non-Blue:
    Lincoln WeldPak 155

My excuse is I don't tig everyday so I don't get enough practice at feeding it. I just back off on the peddle to still keep a small arc so I don't lose my place. Then I push the back end of the rod against my body etc. to feed it through another 6-10" & pick up where I left off.

On the stuff I do I have found it doesn't matter if I can feed it smoothly or not.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I hold the filler rod like a pencil, and use my thumb to move the rod through my hand.

Look at some of the Aluminum TIG welding videos at weldingtipsandricks.com for some examples of techniques.

Highly recommended
    _kevin

Syncrowave 250 Analogue
    Maxstar 200SD
    Maxtron 450
    IntelliTIG 40
    S64M Wirefeeder

Non-Blue:
    Lincoln WeldPak 155

Somebody here recommended sitting around with a glove on and practice. I have done that but you need an aiming point. I could feed pretty good then trying it for real the end of the filler wire was all over the place.

It does help tho.

The glove practice works a lot you just have to find the way that works best for you. I use the pencil method too expect I don't push with my thumb I hold with my thumb and use my index and middle finger to feed.

I have been tig welding for years and I'm with MMW. I usually let up on the pedal a bit and push mt wire against my shoulder or the front of my hood.

I do the same as bellboymotorsports. When I started I would practice feeding, with a tig glove on, while sitting in traffic on my way to work. I would feed 4" and push it back with the dash. I would only use about 10" of fill though. You could try this also. http://m.cyberweld.com/tigpen.html
    It's a filler rod feeder. I tried it while learning how to feed. I like the thumb and 2 finger method better.
    Kevin

I feed with my index and middle fingers, I use my thumb to put a constant slight pressure on the filler rod to keep it stable. I can tack weld 10' of filler together and weld a joint with it non stop. Saves a huge amount of time versus bumping the filler out with your shoulder ect.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter