Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The guy figured to have a monster bill, I had itt about half with a good patch and as I suspected they never used it anyway. In many cases even ugly welding works, I will see if I can find a couple more pics of this but I was the second guy on this job. The first had some good ideas and suffecient design etc but was simply not good enough welder to reach in some odd place with poor acess and out of position, the thing was dirty, was really hard and the design requirement was a real weld, it would have worked but this was the point he gave upand quit, tacked some pieces in, weld one side where he could see a bit easy and stop.

I did a rework job last summer somewhat the same way, the guy got a couple boogers and berries on a plate that would have withstood half a chance had a good weld across the end had been installed. It wa under a machine with limited head room, they should have taken it apart, head twisted around at 3/4 angle, machine too cold.

Default thin metals

yes its possible. the first time i used thin metals was welding a fender on my friends old ford.
    this is how i did it. i use mig solid wire ,down hand. welded about a inch,then have my buddy with a wet cloth cover my weld as soon as i stoped. well i skipped about an inch and so on and so on.then wen i finished ,went back and filled in the mt spots. i hope you understand?
    well it worked.the fender didn't get bent or twisted. so he was happy.
    anyway it is possible to get 1/16 welding rods. but you must be fast as you weld.
    10 ams is very low. when possible over lap your joint. this is better to weld. if possible? it's possible with tig. but with small mig solid wire i find it fast. tig can be slower ,thus twisting or distorting the metal.
    well good luck. take your time and it will work

With a bit of practice, you should be able weld 11 gauge all day with stick. 11 ga. is ~1/8" thick, that's plenty of metal to work with. Smaller rod is always preferred, but in a pinch, I have even welded 11 gauge with 1/8" 7018 (at about 105 amps) before with professional looking results.

Most medium sized mower decks I have seen are 14 to 16 gauge which requires a bit more skill than 11ga., but it's still very doable. Tip: 16 ga. is one of the easiest to remember gauge sizes because it's almost exactly 1/16" thick. Most dumpsters are 14 gauge. If you want to get a good feel for what 14 gauge feels like, go kick a dumpster a few times. I have done many dumpster repairs with both 3/32" 6011 and 7018 with no problems. Heck with 6013 set on straight polarity and good technique it's not all that difficult to weld 14 ga. using 1/8" rod.

Historical note:
    As much as I dislike 6013 in general, it was originally invented/formulated specifically for welding sheet metal tanks. Naturally, thinner gauge sheet metal work is the application where 6013 really shines because that's exactly what it was designed to be used on.
    2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    2005 Miller Passport 180