This is probably a stupid questions, but is it possible to weld thin sheet metal with a stick welder without making a mess?

I've got a Miller Dialarc HF and it is set-up for stick (maybe TIG one of these days) and have considered using this welder for welding mower decks - 11 to 12 gage thickness.

But as a broader question, is welding sheet metal more about heat zone control and that is where MIG is better?

According to the manual, it looks like on the lowest end of the dial, the amperage is about 10 amps???

If it is possible to stick weld with such low amperage outputs, are you closing in on the heat zone control of a MIG welder and with it the ability to weld 11, 12 or thinner sheet metal?

Take my observations with a BIG grain of salt as I'm not a welder, just a hack with a nice Miller.

But if practice made perfect and I could get this welder to weld thin sheet metal without making a mess of things, I could save some $$$'s and floor space and just use this welder for everything from sheet metal to thicker bar stock type stuff.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks for welding sheet metal with this machine would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill