Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter0329 View Post
    I guess the main consensus is to go with Tillman, I live in the south so keeping my hands warm isn't too big of a deal, especially when summer rolls around since I sweat a lot as it is. Any specific type of Tillman gloves that you would recommend?
    Tillman 1350. Good all around glove. They soften up real nice but aren't real thick though. Probably not for real high amp welding but very comfortable and not too pricey. My 2 cents

I am rough on gloves so I now tend to buy cheep as I can. I paid the premium a few times and ended up burning the fingers into a hard shell.

I recently bought two pair for 1.78 each. Got about 40 hours out of the first pair on thin stainless and the other I haven't used yet. The backs melted out then the fingers fell apart with only minor burns.

I guess that was a little too cheep.

Default best, most comfortable gloves?

I'm still in school so I don't think ill be that rough on the gloves, hopefully they'll last through the rest of the class. Ill check out those tillmans, thank y'all

I go through a pair every 3 days

Nedbair- I still haven't gotten a pair of gloves but I'm gonna try to get some soon. I've been looking at the Tillman mig/stick gloves and I like how they look and seem to have good reviews.

Beamwalker- wow! I'm glad I don't go through gloves that quick, I think my teacher would kill me for having to buy that many gloves, and id be going broke.

I found a really comfortable pair of full-grain long cuffs at HF for ~$8 (not on the website), and I was kinda pissed that they only lasted a few hours (I don't weld much or often, so this was actually a few months) before the finger seams started coming apart. But compared to beamwalker, I guess they did OK! I don't think they're intended for welding, but they sure were nice while they lasted. The leather is thin & soft enough for some feel, but the lining is thick enough to insulate & soak up some sweat. I guess I'll check out the Miller MIGs next time...
    Last edited by Steve83; 03-06-2013 at 11:29 PM.

I like the BSX TIG glove. good feeling in the fingers, last longer then the Tilman's and look good. About $15 online.

I like how most tig gloves look and feel, but when I'm stick welding I like the long cuff. I tried it with some tig gloves but I just felt more protected or somethig with the long cuff stick gloves. Once we start doing mig and tig I'm gonna get a pair of tig gloves though

Like some I agree with cheap gloves. As you learn you will probably be too close to the weld and melt/shrink them. Cheap ones won't break your heart when they fall apart. Keep safety in mind and find the ones you like with long cuffs. I have used all types from all sides of the price spectrum. Oddly enough there has never been that magic pair of gloves but you may get lucky.

Yeah if I went through gloves that quick and had to weld everyday for long hours I wouldn't be buying anything but the cheaper gloves. I wouldn't want to be paying that much for gloves just to use them a few days and they fall apart.