Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default miller diversion 180 question!

Hey everybody does anyone own the diversion 180 and how does ut run off household 115v? I only currently have access to a 115v outlet for small side projects. Are you popping any breakers?how is the arc stability on dc and ac? Will this require a larger amp outlet than i use for my 115v millermatic 140? Thinking of purchasing the tig next week all feedback would be greatly appreciated! really want a syncrowave or something engine driven but have to settle for a 50 lb inverter for now.t

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jbskateboards View Post
    Hey everybody does anyone own the diversion 180 and how does ut run off household 115v? I only currently have access to a 115v outlet for small side projects. Are you popping any breakers?how is the arc stability on dc and ac? Will this require a larger amp outlet than i use for my 115v millermatic 140? Thinking of purchasing the tig next week all feedback would be greatly appreciated! really want a syncrowave or something engine driven but have to settle for a 50 lb inverter for now.t

Thanks!
    Yes, it will work fine on the same circuit as you use for your mm140. But be advised that you cannot weld at 180 amps on 115volts. Possibly 120 amps for very short spurts or tacking, and 100 amps for longer welds. To me if the specs say 3/16" thickness at 180 amps, you could only weld reliably on 3/32" thickness at 90 or 100 amps. For sheet metal work it welds nice.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Thanks! Would you say its definitly worth having? My main uses would be home projects/side jobs for family, friends, local neighborhood. Mostly steel and aluminum. Light guage Square tubing, round tubing, light stock, sheet metal etc.

How does it perform on an extension cord? Would my capabilities of thicker materials (with proper beveling fitup & multiple passes) be better with my MM140 VS. the Diversion180 or about the same?

Thanks again for any input this is a large purchase on my current budget and want to make a decision soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jbskateboards View Post
    Thanks! Would you say its definitly worth having? My main uses would be home projects/side jobs for family, friends, local neighborhood. Mostly steel and aluminum. Light guage Square tubing, round tubing, light stock, sheet metal etc.

How does it perform on an extension cord? Would my capabilities of thicker materials (with proper beveling fitup & multiple passes) be better with my MM140 VS. the Diversion180 or about the same?

Thanks again for any input this is a large purchase on my current budget and want to make a decision soon.
    I love them, don't own one, but love them. They make it sooooo easy to teach newbies. Diversions are very limited in range but that is what makes them so easy. A few people that had them learned fast and was so happy they upgraded to Dynastys.
    Just be aware that when you hit 1/8" material thickness things slow up. Light gauge and sheet metal, easy as pie.

As far as extensions, I have the welder 220volt plug on the machine, a 50ft 220 volt extension, then an Eastwood 115volt plasma adapter. You could probably run a 115 volt 50 foot extension to the 115volt recepticle if that makes sense.

Here is the Eastwood adapter. http://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Versa.../dp/B007N6H29Q

Attached Images Attached Images
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

I have the diversion 180, and I love it (being a newbie at TIG) Very easy to use. I like the portability of it. I had to do some work in a resturant kitchen, repairing SS, and it worked perfect off of a heavy extension cord, and 115.