Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Need Constructive criticism...

New to the site. Looking for criticism on my welding. Keep in mind that I have never done this before. I got the urge to weld after going through some of the post here. I do have to say that is not as easy as I thought it would be. I use an AC welder and 6013 3/32. All I did was drag the rod no motion at all. So please be as honest as possible. Thank you.

E.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not bad for the first time. Looks like you could increase your amps a bit a use a slower travel speed. I just used some 6013 a few days ago. Nice rod on AC.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

I agree with a little higher amperage. Something to be practicing is keeping your bead dead straight. It will come with practice. Also being relaxed and comfortable will help while learning.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    I agree with a little higher amperage. Something to be practicing is keeping your bead dead straight. It will come with practice. Also being relaxed and comfortable will help while learning.

Thank you.

Judging travel speed takes practice, just slow down a little and see what it looks like.

However, I think it looks great for your first time.

Dont be to discouraged when you go to do a verticle up weld ( That takes alot more practice ).

Turn up the heat. You should concentrate on watching your puddle. As you watch the puddle form and fill into the weld area you will be able to better judge your travel speed which appears to be too slow. You are doing well for just starting.

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    Not bad for the first time. Looks like you could increase your amps a bit a use a slower travel speed. I just used some 6013 a few days ago. Nice rod on AC.

Thank you, I had the amp at 115; how much more should I have used? and how do I determine the travel speed?

Default Need Constructive criticism...

I like what Kevin said. 1/8 rod would be a lot better. Learn control as you find the right settings and you will see a difference. There are rods used on a daily basis that take practice and knowledge along with time.

Not bad for your first attempt. As others said, I would increase your heat to try to get a "flatter" weld profile and get the "toes" (sides) to "wet in" a little better.

You might also want to try some more "standard" rods for learning, since those will be the ones you end up using most – 6011 and 7018 (you'll need 7018AC for an AC-only machine). I'm not a big fan of 6013.

Keep at it and good luck.

good point on going to 7018 and 6011, those are the bread and butter rods of stick welding, those 2 rods have different welding techniques, one is a drag, the other, 6011, is a whip, learning 6011 is very important, once you get good, with 6011, you can do more than just weld with it, you can trim steel with the rod, i could go on and on , you get the point