Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default planning for near future

I'm wondering if y'all can steer me in the right direction. I'm 17 and in the last few months of my highschool career. I haven't really planned on going to college, mainly just looking to start welding out of highschool. My welding teacher (through tradeschool) said that I'm fairly good at it for being so new to it and that he will help me get into a training/school for welding. It's a school that trains you for jobs that are located near by (Austal) and they have a high employment ratio. I know that I won't be making as much as if I went to college but I don't have the grades for it, plus I've just always imagined working with my hands for a living. What do y'all think about my plan based on real life experiences?
    Last edited by Hunter0329; 02-12-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Making more because you got a 4-year college degree only works if your an engineer or nurse or doctor. I've got a degree in forestry. My 4-year degree doesn't mean I make a lot! Don't get that mantra stuck in your head. I love to work with my hands and I spend 8-days a week doing so. Money is helpful, but for me satisfaction has almost nothing to do with money. That green paper stuff just has handy side effects like buying diesel, putting a roof over my head and beer in my belly.

I don't know if that helps you at all, but I thought I'd tell you anyway!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

That really helps a lot! I'm glad someone else thinks like I do, it seems that most people think that money is everything. It's nice to have, but won't buy true happiness. If everything works out like I'm hoping it will, ill be working at Austal doing what I like within the next year!

Well I can tell you that hoping is good, but action is better! Good luck!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Very true, I've only been welding for a short time but am trying my best and asking a lot of questions. It's nice to see the progress I've made in a short time, and can't wait to look back on the welds I'm making now and see the progress. Thanks for the replies!

We've all been mislead regarding college. Unless you're planning on being a doctor, engineer, scientist, etc., college is a waste of money. It puts you in debt that takes years to pay off (if ever) and makes universities rich and professors very well off. In my opinion, there's nothing like working with your hands. It gives you a sense of pride, accomplishment and satisfaction. As the economy continues to sink like a stone, a good tradesmen will always be in demand. Whatever you decide to do, strive to be the best at it. You get out of life just about what you're willing to put into it...

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSapien View Post
    We've all been mislead regarding college. Unless you're planning on being a doctor, engineer, scientist, etc., college is a waste of money. It puts you in debt that takes years to pay off (if ever) and makes universities rich and professors very well off. In my opinion, there's nothing like working with your hands. It gives you a sense of pride, accomplishment and satisfaction. As the economy continues to sink like a stone, a good tradesmen will always be in demand. Whatever you decide to do, strive to be the best at it. You get out of life just about what you're willing to put into it...
    I disagree with your take on college. It is not a waste of money. That is like saying trade school is a waste of money. It's what you put into whatever you decide to do. My wife is white collar & college educated. The amount of money that is available is amazing. Sure not all get it ($) but you have a better shot at it with a college education. Also anyone can benefit from business schooling. Our country would be in much better shape if people understood just basic finances.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

That's what opinions are for and disagreement is sometimes good. It encourages thinking. From my point of view, today, we're led to believe that we need college educations for nearly everything. This is not true. Student loans in this country are ridiculously out of control. Why burden a young person with all that debt when, in most cases, they didn't need college. I think there are plenty of statistics out there to back this up. But again, I respect your opinion.

Unfortunately, a lot of employers are happy to see a college degree even if it does not apply for your job. I guess they look at you having enough discipline
    to complete further education.
    I think the most important part is liking what you do. Money is nice but being
    unhappy every day at work, sucks.
    I think the most important point is that "YOU" must sell yourself at whatever
    you decide to do. Grasp all the knowledge and skills required for your job. Your abilities and attitude is what will shine and ''WANT" the employer to keep you over the others.
    I was a union fitter/welder for over 41 years,never out of work, paid over scale ,had paid vacations, bonus, and loved every minute of it. Started as a apprentice and worked my way up.
    You can do the same. You just gotta be dedicated to what you do.
    Actually, it would be better to find someone with ''MONEY'' and get married !

If you can make the right decision early enough in life as to what you want to retire at, then you have your career set.

While your younger its ok to change up what your doing and not settle on something that's not where you want to be. Don't be afraid to quit a job and try something different. The older you get = more responsibility's and can be tougher to make changes or have the time for school.

At some point you need to make a decision and stick with it, then be the best at it.

Any school relating to what you have decided on is a good choice. Yes, it has become as corrupt as the government but it will expand your knowledge in areas you might not ever know. You have to want it bad enough to learn it, just trying to get a degree for the paperwork is BS.

You say you really haven't the grades for collage, well you don't have to be in a four year program. Go ahead and go to the training, get a welding job. But don't settle with just that.

Take a class relating to it along the way. Blue Print Reading, a math class, a tech school on another process, heat treating, metallurgy, codes etc. You can learn anything you want to learn, one class at a time.

A job welding on a production line or the same thing day in and day out will only take you so far. You'll learn a lot, but its up to you move forward with other processes.

There is no problem getting out there and getting a taste of the real world to help you decide what road to take. Just don't settle and get in a rut, stuck on some dead end job thinking you can't do anything else.

5 years, 10 years and more will go by fast, do something with it, set some goals.