Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Small quantity of pipe

Where is a good place to get a small quantity of 1/4" wall pipe? I need something in the 24" diameter range. Thanks.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Thinking about making a true bbq with reverse flow firebox. I figure about 4' should work, maybe a bit more. That is small quantity to purchase.
    Last edited by elvis; 02-12-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

I don't know what your part of Arizona is like, but if there is large amounts of irrigated land, any local pipe dealer should be able to help you out. Look in the yellow pages. Around here, the pipe companies will cut and sell large diameter pipe whatever length you want, of course charging more per foot and a cut charge for small lengths. I have also found them willing to negotiate price on already existing remnants left over from previous sales, it pays sometimes to hunt thru the yard and find something close to what you require.

I am making a distinction here between pipe dealers, and steel service centers. A steel service center will normally only sell whole, standard lengths.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

My part has hills, trees and rocks. Not much farmland. That being said... I drive through cotton country often that I could call up some places down there to see what I can find. I did find some 4.5' of .375 wall pipe for right at $500! Ouch. Too thick anyway for what I need. 1/4" wall is right about 63#/ft. .375 wall must be pushing 90#/ft!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

You need schedule 10 pipe; .250 wall. What about a local sheetmetal / ironworker shop and have them roll it ?
    It may have to be thinner like 10 gauge , just get two pieces.
    Try placing a want add on craigs list .

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    You need schedule 10 pipe; .250 wall. What about a local sheetmetal / ironworker shop and have them roll it ?
    It may have to be thinner like 10 gauge , just get two pieces.
    Try placing a want add on craigs list .
    Sweet, so sched 10 will be .250 wall? What size pipe is that true? OR is it all sched10 is .250? I don't know jack about pipe.

I would prefer a single piece. I think it will be cleaner. It should end up something like this: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...40#post_607858 This guy started with a big @$$ air compressor tank. I'm just going to do 24" pipe with flat ends and a square firebox.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

I could probably get you a piece if you wanted to take a drive to Sierra Vista........
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    I could probably get you a piece if you wanted to take a drive to Sierra Vista........
    Do you work/live/play in SV? I'll be in tucson soon. Maybe a week and a half. I'll send pm.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

24'' schedule 10 pipe is .025 wall. Here's the chart .
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/no...pe-d_1337.html

The .375 wall is schedule 20 also know as Standard for 24''

You should also look for a leaking 100 gallon or a 125 gallon well water storage tank ; that might be a option too. Another is a heating expansion tank that was
    replaced. http://www.statesupply.com/valves-an...n-tanks/bi1465
    Maybe check at a scraper for one of these.

I checked out the posted link, awesome !

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Thinking about making a true bbq with reverse flow firebox. I figure about 4' should work, maybe a bit more. That is small quantity to purchase.
    Nothing says the pit has to be cylindrical, it's just most are made that way because the material was easy/cheap to get. There is no cooking advantage to a round pit, it just reduces fabrication required somewhat. If you can not find the pipe you are wanting, consider buying a plate of steel and building it square/rectangular.That's what I did making my smoker. I'll get some pics if you want. Mine has a 2'x3' cooking surface and a side fire box with a smoke tube run thru the center. You can make it most anyway you want it. I used 1/8" plate for mine, a 4'x8' piece was about $55.00 at the time. So maybe price flat plate steel too before settling on a round pipe as your base material. Your gonna need some plate anyway to make the firebox a square unit. So just call to see what the pricing is in your area.