Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Where or how did you learn to weld?

Being fairly new at this, I was wondering how you learned to weld? School, apprenticeship, self taught? Also, at what age did you learn? I've been watching as many youtube videos and reading as much as I can and then practicing to try to teach myself. Just thought it'd be interesting to see how other did it...

On the farm and business at age 9-10. My dad was blind in one eye and didn't want to risk his other eye in the off chance he might get hit with hot slag. Years later in Ag Shop classes, heavy construction and as a hobby once I got away from the trades. Keep practicing, you'll get better.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

That's interesting. I've found that so far, I like it so much that I can get lost in the garage for hours and not realize it. I suppose part of that is because I DON'T HAVE TO DO IT. I do it because I WANT to...

turbo38t Guest

I used to do the same. To be great at something you need to have the passion for it. I Started out trying to build lowrider mini trucks. I started by repairing my bosses chair(didn't hold ) My cousin showed me how to set up my first mig I bought (Centeruy 110 volt welder when I was 15).I then started chopping frames on trucks, doing sheet metal work, then suspension work and it wasn't pretty but always strong. I bought welder books and some O/A tanks to learn how to gas weld then on the side I just started fixing stuff. I bought a Syn 250 for $500 like new and researched how to TIG....I burned up a water cooled gun cause I had no clue what I was doing. I then worked for the local township and had free reign to learn with an mm250 and an old old ac/dc stick machine. I started my first full time apprentice/welding job when I was like 27 and learned from 2 very good fabricators with different outlooks and a grudge towards each other. I paid my way through vo tech and took some basic tig and blueprint classes to see where I stood . The entire time I have been on millerwelds.com and any good welding site including youtube just doing research. I still to this day stay late at work and practice then and through my breaks just to perfect things. I currently work for a large construction company doing d1.1 and d1.5 structural work as well as repairs on random odd stuff like cast iron, cast aluminum and cast steel and stainless. I started doing the student bridge project for NJIT 2 years ago and will be starting the third round tomorrow. I tinker in my garage all the time despite downgrading to a Diversion 165 and mm 140. One of my side jobs was developing and building the first run of the "Jersey Boot" tactical breaching device for my friends at http://jerseytactical.com Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSapien View Post
    That's interesting. I've found that so far, I like it so much that I can get lost in the garage for hours and not realize it. I suppose part of that is because I DON'T HAVE TO DO IT. I do it because I WANT to...

Here is an older thread which has lots of interesting information and good stories.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ghlight=mentor
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt hands View Post
    Here is an older thread which has lots of interesting information and good stories.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ghlight=mentor
    Before I started this thread, I did a search for this info, but didn't find anything. Thanks for the link. I'll catch up on some reading...

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSapien View Post
    Homer,
    I get lost in my garage for hours too. Maybe I should leave a trail of bread crumbs, but the rats might erase it on me. Learned to weld from my dad.
    Meltedmetal

Cool

I was born with the knack. Both my mom and dad were welders as they owned a fab shop where i later worked...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I find all this very interesting. Everyone has a story and you can quickly tell in most cases whether or not someone has a passion for something. I've had many throughout my life (almost 63 years) and welding has been something that I've been wanting to learn for quite some time. My Son & I had a small powder coating shop for about 7 years. He did all the welding and I never had, or took the time to learn. I did some O&A brazing in High School, but that was it. We sold the shop about 2 years ago before the economy got any worse. He sold his welders and that was that. Now that I'm retired, I feel that it's time I tackle my bucket list.

Default Where or how did you learn to weld?

Started when I was 15 as a pipe welder helper with my uncle went on into bit of structural when I was 19 then at 22 till now which I'm 25 been working at a shop building anything from gas pipes to fence panels which I really have a passion for because I'm not just stuck with the same routine , one day I could be welding pressurized gas pipe and another I could be welding structural beams