Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default how do my welds look?

I just started welding about a month ago. Never welded a bead in my life before i took this class, but Im really liking it so far. Taking welding classes in trade school through my high school. This is horizontal stick with 6013. Any and all help would be appreciated and let me know what I'm doing wrong please. Thank y'all in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ill try to get more pics Monday of one of the better welds, these aren't my best but just the ones that I remembered to take a pic of.

Well Dang, I guess no one has any input for me

Not bad for just starting, keep practicing!

Do you notice anything by just looking at it that I could improve on? And thank you

I'm no expert, but it looks like you have some undercut on top, stay a bit longer at the top so you fill in the undecut or what's called washing in before you go to the bottom and wash in. Maybe count 1001 at the top of the weld each time or what ever group of numbers in sequence 1001 1002 1003 seem to give enough time to fill the undercut in before you go to the bottom and wash in. I can't tell for sure, but your heat looks to be a bit cold, try 5 amps more and be ready to move foward a bit faster. Play around with the amps/heat and foward travel speed. You'll get it, everyone does that's willing to suffer though the learning curve. Never ever give up!
    Last edited by tackit; 02-10-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Just what I can see from the picture is work on being steady and you will have a straighter weld. That will come with more practice, main thing is just relax when your running your bead.

Thank y'all, I can't really remember but I think I did turn my heat up after I took this pic. And I'm trying to keep more steady and get in a comfortable position to run the bead each time. I'm definitly goin to keep at it though! I'm really hooked now and hopefully ill improve a lot before the class ends!

Your welcome! Keep at it!

Not too bad for a beginner