Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Question about weld grinding for best appearance

Hello,
    I am building a bumper for my truck and butt welding the joints. when i grind a V joint top and bottom and weld on top and bottom, i get a valley on top of the 2 pieces. When i try to grind the top surface for cosmetic purposes. I end up grinding the surrounding metal because the weld ends up being lower in the valley.
    When i grind a V only on the bottom and weld from the bottom, i get penetration through the top but when i grind that small protrusion flat, I find that there is still a bit of a valley and i end up grinding more of a valley to get a smooth appearance.
    I have attached hand drawings.
    My question is what is the best butt weld/grinding technique to use to get a nice flat appearance on the outside weld.
    Using Miller 180 autoset.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by digitalwelder; 02-08-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 62

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 137