Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Stainless TIG - Back purging flat plate welds

I am trying to come up with a method to prevent sugaring on flat strip stainless Tee joints, 18ga 304. I want to run a single TIG pass on both sides of the joint and prevent sugaring from the first pass on the first side. This is for a classroom demonstration on backpurging for students to visually see the need and reason why. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am thinking about fabbing a argon dam sort of thing to create an argon atmosphere on the back side to prevent sugaring and allow it to be removed for the final pass, and then place this dam on the opposite side. Is there such a thing..Thanks for any thoughts or ideas, Walt

Sure! There's plenty of ways to go about it. Most people would make a dam with some thin sheet metal, Aluminum tape, cardboard etc... Have your argon go in one end and let it "leak" out on the other. Your just trying to protect your weld from oxidation due to atmospheric contamination. For future reference, there's also plenty of products out there that you can purchase and maybe your weld supplier has some stuff in stock (www.cerbaco.com). If I'm in a weird spot and don't want to fiddle with argon lines and dams then I use solar flux. You mix it with acetone (or HEET) and brush it on. It flakes off with a little physical persuasion. Good Luck!

If u want a quick cheap way of doing it use a bit of 2x4 with a good inch grove in it. Sit the work over the grove with the argon pipe in at one end.
    Just turn up the flow to compensate for leaks.

Thanks: I am going to work on this. I'll post what I come up with. Been hard to find information or ideas on this doing search's..Walt

I've heard of a paste you can get rather than gas purging. And if its open root there is also flux core tig filler wire.

Angle iron works good for purging flat plate. Set it against the back of your joint, argon hose in one end, and your good to go!