Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    turbo38t Guest

Default Soda can welding....

I was tinkering with this last night and would like to some more. I was able to get the cans joined and some filler in there but the problem was contamination. What's the best way to cleann the cans? I used coke zero cans and a wire wheel to remove the coating. I think a chemical would do it better? Was very difficult to establish a "clean" puddle. Dave

There are a couple youtube videos you can watch.

The inside of the pop cans are coated also, its very had to get a contamination free weld with pop cans

You'll have better luck with beer cans. Once you empty enough of them you won't care anymore!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Probably best off with the brush. The chemical you would need to get that coating off would be pretty "heavy duty" and probably hard to find. Think about how corrosive coke is. At our fire department we use it to clean blood and oil off of the roads after a car accident, works better than you think

Frank

Smile

Your asking in the wrong place. You need to ask the guy at the flea market with the special aluminum rods.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I welded some DP cans, the coating inside causes a problem, if you can get a clean drop of weld started, you should be able to get around it.

http://mob854.photobucket.com/albums...dpopcan003.jpg

Default Pop Can welding

Hi You can weld two pop cans together with TIG. Turn down your amps as low as you can and use pure argon. weld them bottom to bottom. Clean with a new wire brush and only use it for aluminum. Clean with acetone. Post the picks on here when your finished. Visit youtube or visit weldingtipsandtricks.com Jody is a great goto with questions and has a ton of videos.

At $ .10 a peice I find that its way easier to throw them out than to weld them.

I used a scotchbrite wheel and then acetone, which worked great.

I also tried a wire wheel and it embedded paint deep into the surface.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800