Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default sand blast

A tank that size with professional grade equipment. Going with a commercial sand blast job. Not a white iron job should not take them more than an hour to hour in a half. Regardless of paint and rust. They will have multiple blast tips and a very coarse sand available to get the job done.
    ARMOR
    MOBILE WELDING&SERVICES
    Trailblazer 302
    X-TREME 12VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Millermatic 135
    WeldCraft WPseries TIG torch
    Smith oxy set.

Quote Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
    Its going to be a smoker. Not real east to move. .....hmmmm
    Just throw it in the back of the truck and haul it to them, no problem. How did you get it home? Since it is going to be a smoker, you could just cut out the door the way it's going to be and build a HOT hardwood fire in it all over.Try to get it almost cherry red. That will make any rust and old paint turn loose, and after it cools you can finish cleaning it with a wire brush cup on a grinder(preferably a 7" or larger grinder). Is this an old propane tank or one that may have had something potentially flammable in it at one time? If so, there are certain precautions that will need to be observed before cutting into it.

Quote Originally Posted by mking7 View Post
    I've started building smokers and was about to invest in a blaster. I've been getting them done and they've been running $50-75 each time. I'd like to do it myself if I can for a reasonable price. I was looking at this one:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-100...e-blaster.html

I'd be blasting 24" and 30" pipe in lengths of 4'-10' depending on the pit. Is this going to take forever? Can someone recommend a better one?

Is this one any better?

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pre...model-110.html

This is my compressor:

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...ssor/p855.html

sorry, it will take forever and will wear out your compressor. blasting with a 5hp compressor is good only for small jobs once in a while. take a look at the equipment where you were going before and i bet they have 50 + hp screw type compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    sorry, it will take forever and will wear out your compressor. blasting with a 5hp compressor is good only for small jobs once in a while. take a look at the equipment where you were going before and i bet they have 50 + hp screw type compressor.
    ok....thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mking7 View Post
    I've started building smokers and was about to invest in a blaster. I've been getting them done and they've been running $50-75 each time. I'd like to do it myself if I can for a reasonable price. I was looking at this one:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-100...e-blaster.html

I'd be blasting 24" and 30" pipe in lengths of 4'-10' depending on the pit. Is this going to take forever? Can someone recommend a better one?

Is this one any better?

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pre...model-110.html

This is my compressor:

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...ssor/p855.html

for 50-75$ a piece, what do they charge an hour to blast em? my guy wants $80. If they have the right tool it should take about an hour Id say..... maybe...?

Try using a 6" or 7" wire wheel on a 3 HP sidegrinder, be sure to wear safety glasses and gloves.