Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default sandblaster question...

I need some advice..........I need to sandblast my tank. Its 7' long, and 30" in diameter. I have a air compresser thats rated...scfm 6.6 @ 40 psi, 5.8@ 90 psi with 125 psi max/26 gallon tank. I am going to use a sandblaster here...http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.a...388450&lang=En

will this work, or take forever? thanks.

It will take forever. You need more cfm.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

would 210 deisel towable rental do it? i can get one for $120 a day.

It will still take a very very long time if it has and thick rust on it. I have a similar blaster with a 14 hp gas Ingersoll-rand air compressor and it's pitiful how long it take to blast most things.

Likely only cost you 30-40 bucks to have it blasted. I can blast it with mine pressure pot blaster with my big air compressor in about 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Likely only cost you 30-40 bucks to have it blasted. I can blast it with mine pressure pot blaster with my big air compressor in about 15 minutes.
    I called a company and they said they charge $80 / hour. But they cant give me an idea on ho long it would take........I dont know what to do.

hi, what was the tank used for , how thick the walls, odd shapes and brackets on it, how deep the rust, is it coated with a thick soft rubberized paint how much does it weight?

80$/hr for high performing equipment is a bargain, as it removes paint faster than you could apply it.

And do not forget the mess you will have to clean after...

Quote Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
    I called a company and they said they charge $80 / hour. But they cant give me an idea on ho long it would take........I dont know what to do.
    If you can take it to them so they can actually see it, they may be able to give you a better estimate on how long it will take. Getting it done by someone with the industrial equipment may be cheaper on you in the long run than trying to rent equipment and do it yourself. If you can remove some of the heavier crud from it first it may help reduce the time the blaster has to work on it too. What are you going to use this for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    If you can take it to them so they can actually see it, they may be able to give you a better estimate on how long it will take. Getting it done by someone with the industrial equipment may be cheaper on you in the long run than trying to rent equipment and do it yourself. If you can remove some of the heavier crud from it first it may help reduce the time the blaster has to work on it too. What are you going to use this for anyway?
    Its going to be a smoker. Not real east to move. .....hmmmm

I've started building smokers and was about to invest in a blaster. I've been getting them done and they've been running $50-75 each time. I'd like to do it myself if I can for a reasonable price. I was looking at this one:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-100...e-blaster.html

I'd be blasting 24" and 30" pipe in lengths of 4'-10' depending on the pit. Is this going to take forever? Can someone recommend a better one?

Is this one any better?

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pre...model-110.html

This is my compressor:

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...ssor/p855.html