Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Vertical up mig

Default Vertical up mig

I was practicing my vertical up with mig a couple weeks ago. I was getting some undercut along my weld. It was small, but still something to fix.

My approximate settings were:
    fillet weld vertical up
    3/16" mild steel
    300ipm
    18.5volts
    .035 er70s6
    c25 gas @ 25cfh

This was a couple weeks ago so I'm pretty sure those settings are correct. I was doing a inverted-v movement pausing for about a second on each side of the weld and making sure that the arc pushed as deep into the corner as possible. This was also done with a millermatic 251. I don't know how the softer arc characteristics affect a weld like this.

Based on what I saw I think the fix is a little higher wire speed and a little more pause on the outsides of the weld.

Thanks!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

A little hot I would say for verticle up. Try turning it down to 18volts 275ipm. Hold your sides to let them fill quick across the center and try just going straight across the joint without trying to do an inverted v pattern.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Why go straight across and not push the arc across the whole front of the puddle?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Default Vertical up mig

Both methods work as jrcgsr stated try zig zagging and advance above the puddle, that way your not putting weld on weld but putting weld on fresh steel, hold the sides and let it back fill. That is the method I prefer, I find it gives a flatter weld allowing for better multi pass penetration.
    Just my .02
    Kevin

turbo38t Guest

Sounds like a lot of heat for 3/16" plate. I would be around 16.8 volts and somewhere around 280 wfs. I do the inverted v as well with c25 gas set at 15 cfh or so. More voltage and it gets runny. Listen to your weld.....undercut is not enough fill....this can be do to excessive heat or not enough wire....
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    I was practicing my vertical up with mig a couple weeks ago. I was getting some undercut along my weld. It was small, but still something to fix.

My approximate settings were:
    fillet weld vertical up
    3/16" mild steel
    300ipm
    18.5volts
    .035 er70s6
    c25 gas @ 25cfh

This was a couple weeks ago so I'm pretty sure those settings are correct. I was doing a inverted-v movement pausing for about a second on each side of the weld and making sure that the arc pushed as deep into the corner as possible. This was also done with a millermatic 251. I don't know how the softer arc characteristics affect a weld like this.

Based on what I saw I think the fix is a little higher wire speed and a little more pause on the outsides of the weld.

Thanks!

Cool thanks for the suggestions guys.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA