Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Generator Powering Inverters

Hi, Looking for advice, At a recent Ag show I was looking at TA 181i A Rep with Prax Air said it wouldnt be wise to power it occasionaly with a Bobcat as Inverter types need cleaner electricity than transformer type welders? I dont think iv"e ever heard that before, Is that the case? Thanks

I would like to know also. I have an inverter and 211, so whats best to power what.

I read where the 211 needs clean power and the inverter could handle unclean better.

Thinking about running the 211 with a bobcat is that bad?

I have powered the inverter with the bobcat just to check it out but never for any length of time.

Just today I heard clean power is when nothing else is on the circuit, any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    I would like to know also. I have an inverter and 211, so whats best to power what.

I read where the 211 needs clean power and the inverter could handle unclean better.

Thinking about running the 211 with a bobcat is that bad?

I have powered the inverter with the bobcat just to check it out but never for any length of time.

Just today I heard clean power is when nothing else is on the circuit, any truth to that?
    No.

Actually having something plugged in helps a "bad" genset since it will keep the genet up to speed. But in general Dirty power gensets are older units that do not have AVR-Automatic Voltage regulators.

Cheap gensets may not be running at the correct speed and this will change the Hz

Hopefully Cruizer can chime in on the quality of the Bobcat's power
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by farmer welder View Post
    Hi, Looking for advice, At a recent Ag show I was looking at TA 181i A Rep with Prax Air said it wouldnt be wise to power it occasionaly with a Bobcat as Inverter types need cleaner electricity than transformer type welders? I dont think iv"e ever heard that before, Is that the case? Thanks
    I don't know specifically about the inverter or source but I have designed switching inverters and other electronics. I would say that it's likely just the opposite. The inverter takes the incoming voltage, what ever frequency or voltage, and cleans it up. A good inverter like in the Dynasty's I don't think would have any problems with a gen set. Inverters filter the incoming source, rectify it, and using sophisticated magnetics a core materials run it through high frequency circuits.

That's my two cents and I'm inside circuits all day long.

Rob

"Note the emphasis on through. The primary power voltage can vary, but as long as it stays within the machine’s operating range, the power at the arc remains rock steady (see Fig. 5, Auto-Line circuit). Operators will never see a flicker, and the machine will operate continuously through conditions that cause other machines to shut down for self-protection or trip the circuit breaker. This benefit really pays off on sites with dirty power or when running off generator power. Note that to create a cost-efficient two-arc welding station in the field, some companies pair an engine-driven welding generator and use its generator power to run an inverter."

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ance-downtime/
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Inverters don't care so much about engine power frequency as the supply is boosted from 60Hz to upwards of 70Khz +.

Personally I don't see a problem, make sure the unit is on high idle before you turn the outside machine on, or there will be a loud booming noise though..