Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Monkey Wrench

Default Monkey Wrench

I picked up a broken pipe wrench today out of our scrap hopper. Looks to be about 14 inch cast aluminum.

Thought I would try and fix it, The last 4" of the handle is broken off and I have that part also.

My thought was to bevel both sides and go at it insuring a welded all the way through joint.

All I have is 4043 filler, even thought about putting a couple strips along the outside for some added strength.

How would you guys repair it?

Cool

I would bevel both ends real good and leave a 1/8" gap between the parts. Hit it with a little preheat and weld it with my spool gun with 4043 wire. Thats how i would do it...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Prep as you said. Weld one pass on one side. Flip over & grind second side until your into the first weld. Then weld second side. Alternate passes on each side til done. Reinforcement can't hurt but make sure it's comfortable in your hand. After it cools.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Make sure it's comfortable in your hand after it cools? Haaahaa, I have done it before and I will do it again.

I purchased one of those infrared temp guns to read temps by pointing the little red laser at the part. Well aluminum is kind of shiny plus I went the cheep way on the temp gage.

First day, I welded up some aluminum, pointed that thing at the weld and part in general,,, WHAT, a 100 degrees???? That can't be right.... and picked up the part with a bare hand. My hand sounded like an egg frying.

I knew it, but that gage made me stupid for a moment. I returned it that day.

I almost want to fix that wrench and give it back to the guy that tossed it out. He works in our maintenance department and he is a really good person. They weld some mild steel but thats it.

I have been able to get some stainless jobs from my work place, not much, mostly because I can't take credit cards, I don't have insurance, oh and the biggie, I'm not a certified welder. There is no use trying to explain certifications to the educated engineers.

The last two jobs they paid me by adding extra hours onto my regular pay. It would be an opportunity for me to get the word out that I can do aluminum.

I'll see how it turns out.

Thanks for the input, and I would like to hear others as well.

Hardrock40 wrote "I almost want to fix that wrench and give it back to the guy that tossed it out. He works in our maintenance department and he is a really good person. They weld some mild steel but thats it."

Some places throw broken stuff out because the liability isn't worth it. A fixed wrench breaks & someone gets hurt? Company is liable. I would fix it & keep it. You'll find a use for it. Just remember that you welded it when you have a 6 foot pipe on it for leverage.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Hardrock40 wrote "I almost want to fix that wrench and give it back to the guy that tossed it out. He works in our maintenance department and he is a really good person. They weld some mild steel but thats it."

Some places throw broken stuff out because the liability isn't worth it. A fixed wrench breaks & someone gets hurt? Company is liable. I would fix it & keep it. You'll find a use for it. Just remember that you welded it when you have a 6 foot pipe on it for leverage.
    Your right, I'll keep it.