Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: welder problems

Default welder problems

I have a maxstar 200 sd and a dynasty 200 dx and I have installed a 220 outlet in my garage. it is the style of outlet that a lot of dryers use - 4 pin. when i plug in either welder and turn them on they make a weird noise buzzing type, and the number -2 flashes on the display. I have already toasted one power inverter. I am not sure what is going on

while a very light sounding hum is normal a help 2 is not. Did you use the red wire by chance?
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Default welder problems

not sure what you mean the red wire. in the plug i connected the red, black, green, and white wires to their terminals. the noise is very loud and not normal and continues after it is turned off unplugged and then slowly dies down until it stops.

Default what happend to the owners manual?

You are not supposed to use the red wire. That is for 3 phase!

Very important question, do you actually measure 230V/240V across the two designated hot leads of the receptacle you put in?

Quote Originally Posted by desertranger View Post
    not sure what you mean the red wire. in the plug i connected the red, black, green, and white wires to their terminals. the noise is very loud and not normal and continues after it is turned off unplugged and then slowly dies down until it stops.
    As mentioned the red wire on the welders is for 3-phase power
    Since you are using it on Single phase you only use the black,white and green wires.

The 4-wire receptacle you have is a single phase 120v/240v circuit: 120v for lights, timers on the dryer and 240v for the heating elements.

On the Dryer plug in this application for the welding machine you Only use the 2 straight blade and rounded( ground) terminals NOT the L shaped terminal.

The white and black can go either straight blade
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 02-05-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default welder problems

i have hooked up the plug as directed with three of the four terminals without the red wire. I is doing the same thing. Will hooking up all the wires on a single phase source damage the welder ? Any one know what the -2 means ? When I turn it on the first thing it displays 243 891 then -2 and right display is blank. then it goes to the normal operating display.
    Last edited by desertranger; 02-05-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by desertranger View Post
    Time for an electrician, cause what you've done is entirely stupid, no wonder why you've roasted machines.

UNPLUG EVERYTHING and phone up someone who has a clue!!

Sounds like you might have hooked up the power in your shop incorrectly, but I have no idea.... The red wire is only used for three phase , that's all I know.

Default welder problems

the power in my garage is fine. at the time i did not realize the plug configuration was different for single and 3 phase. now i see my mistake.