Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question need tip on how to hold pieces for TIG at odd angle - ?modeling clay?

The project I'm doing is TIG welding two 3/8" mild steel square bars on an angle to a 1/2" square bar. The drawing is easier to understand than my explanation. Top bar only is illustrated.

the right angle pipes/angle iron, c-clamps, and vise grips I'm using for a frame just don't get the angles right.

Could I safely use modeling clay or something like that to hold small pieces at an odd angle just to get the tack weld made as long as I keep the clay away from the weld?

holding pieces.jpg

Would these help ? Posting from another site.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ht=weld+finger

Mine is post #7, i think this will work . Various ideas shown.

Default I use these, bigger than they look.

I don't believe that welding finger will help much in your case. If you have a lot of them to make, you should make a jig. If it's just the one, I usually just grind the angles I need and hold them together by hand for a tack. Then you can bend them a little to get the final angle and weld.
    You've got a tough problem, I admit.

CG
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    Smithy Lathe/Mill

This universal clamp may be just what you need.

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7273

Don

Quote Originally Posted by chewinggum View Post
    I don't believe that welding finger will help much in your case. If you have a lot of them to make, you should make a jig. If it's just the one, I usually just grind the angles I need and hold them together by hand for a tack. Then you can bend them a little to get the final angle and weld.
    You've got a tough problem, I admit.

CG
    This works on many projects. Great advise.

A piece of bent flat straps and a couple clamps woulde be simple, how many of these are there and are they critical? One of them, a latch for a pork smoker or some engineered part, dozens, hundreds etc for the space program? You say using now, is this part of a production process? This is a question that needs context??

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    A piece of bent flat straps and a couple clamps woulde be simple, how many of these are there and are they critical? One of them, a latch for a pork smoker or some engineered part, dozens, hundreds etc for the space program? You say using now, is this part of a production process? This is a question that needs context??
    It's a single hobby project, not production. i plan to make 6.
    I'm a novice, and as such, am not able to fill in the details of your suggestion of bent flat straps and a couple of clamps. How are those to be arranged? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Would these help ? Posting from another site.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ht=weld+finger

Mine is post #7, i think this will work . Various ideas shown.

I made up the pieces today of your design, but I don't know how to do the washer part to get it to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by d.eglen View Post
    I made up the pieces today of your design, but I don't know how to do the washer part to get it to hold.
    The washer is a shade larger then the material that it slides on. It just binds on the round stock by gravity being on a angle. Your washer inside diameter maybe too large. You could try a small '' C '' clamp or baby vise grips on shaft to hold weight too. Hope it works.