Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Miller Multimatic 200

Hi everyone. I'm in my 60's, retired and pretty new to welding. Been following the site for a while and I have a question that I'm sure I can get an answer to here. I started learning how to weld about 10 months ago. I bought a Hobart Handler 140 and an Everlast Powerarc 160STH (I know, but the price was right and it's actually a pretty good machine). I wanted to learn Mig, Tig & Stick, hence the 2 machines. I just recently sold the HH 140 because I wanted the 115/230v feature of the HH210 (the Everlast has this feature) as I do have a 230v/50a outlet in my garage. I haven't gotten a chance to use the 210 yet, but now I'm really leaning towards the Miller Multimatic 200. I figure that way I can have a machine capable of all 3 processes, it will take up little space and I will be able to take it with for projects outside the house, etc. What advice can you guys give?

I have the same decision to make I'm unclear which welder to choose. I have been welding for 5 years now I'm not just a hobby welder I weld for a living but either at work or at home It's rare for me to be welding 1/2 inch steel. I usually weld from 16ga up to 1/4 inch steel anywhere from fence panels up to trailers.I love the portability of the multimatic 200 and I think it's sufficient power for my needs but I hate the prize or I'm thinking about the millermatic 211 which I hear nothing but good reviews . FYI I also sometimes get side jobs where I have to take welder out to the field.Any input is much appreciated, is the multimatic 200 good enough power for me?

That's my point. I've already had to take the HH out to friends houses twice to do some repairs in their yards. I'm thinking that the 200 would come in very handy as I'm hoping to get better as I go and possibly even earn a few dollars from time to time. While I really liked my HH140, it was a little cumbersome to take with me. I guess I jumped the gun when I purchased the 210mvp. I was looking at price. Being a novice, I really didn't want to spend $2k for a welder but now I'm thinking that it would be a good investment. I've got the HH210 up for sale on the Chicago Craigslist. If I can sell it I will definitely purchase the Multimatic 200.

Yeah I was looking for a more portable welder with the ability to weld 3/8 and came across the mm211 ad then as I was researching further I came across the multimatic 200 which in my opinion is a better choice I just sold my Lincoln promig 140 and about to sell my miller thunderbolt to take come off the cost weight for the multimatic 200 with the lowest I seen it was 1800

I think I've got everything figured out. I'm going to give my Son the Everlast 160. He'll probably buy the Hobart 210 and I'll order the Multimatic 200. After all, you can't take it with you!

Default Weight is an issue.

The 211 when it has a large roll in it is rather heavy, a good 90lbs the older we get, the harder it is lifting these things. Getting my 211 in and out of my truck is not easy but it is a great Mig welder.
    The 200 will weigh half of that with a roll in it, inverter type so not sure how long it will last compared with the 211.
    I find I hardly Tig now it takes a lot more time setting up for Tig welding than Mig if you are setting up in a new location, on a windy day Tig is no option even in my garage, Mig is so easy, with thin wire you can do very small thin stuff. I use flux core outside and it is just like stick welding but easier.
    If I had got the 211 first, I doubt I would have purchased my Dynasty because it will do all I have asked of it, in and out of the shop, just heavy to lift into and out of my truck.
    For the price the 211 is the way to go, upgrading later should be easy, how many used 211's have you seen, not many, people keep them because they are so good and great value for money.
    Just my opinion but if the weight is not an issue get the 211, I see you are retired, I am 55 200lbs, not fat and the 211 is a chunk with one arm.
    Hope my opinion helps you a little.

Thanks for the opinion. Weight's not really an issue. I like Mig (actually flux-cored) and stick as well. I'm trying to learn Tig, but I'm not anywhere near there yet. I have good days and bad days. I actually looked at the 211 first but after reading quite a few comments on this site about the auto feature not being worth the money I got cold feet and went after the Hobart 210. Then I saw the Multimatic 200 and thought that this machine would be perfect. Takes up very little space, easy to relocate and it does all three processes. If I was just into the Mig feature I would stick with the HH210, but to have all 3 processes in one package is too much to pass up.

Well Homer looks like I'll be ordering the multimatic 200 this Friday after some financial calculations and selling some of my other welding equipment and doing ton of Internet research I'm finally going to be pulling the trigger

If the Multimatic 200 can actually output 200 amps in MIG mode, it's going to do it at an extremely low duty cycle.

It's probably a 20% duty cycle at that amperage, but I don't know how often I will max it out. Besides, I'm retired; I'm not in any hurry for ANYTHING! Anyway, I just bit the bullet and called Baker's Gas and ordered one. I figured enough drooling. I ordered the Tig torch and the accessories needed for flux-core welding. Now if I can sell the HH210mvp and the spoolgun I just bought I can recoup some of the money. By the way, for anyone interested; the Hobart Spoolrunner 100 will not work with the Multimatic 200. The power blocks are different sizes. That sucks. Anyway, I can't wait until the new unit gets here...