Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: boat prop

Default boat prop

Anyone know how to build a boat prop ? Wanna make a mud motor and it would be fun to make a prop too. Any ideas?

My Mud Motor prop looks like a trolling motor prop, 2 blade made of stainless I think. I've rounded the edges and beat the heck out of it in rock bottom rivers and it keeps going.
    I'll never buy another mud motor without electric start, pull starting a direct drive 6' shaft filled with grease in winter is a workout.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Mud motor and mud prop, thats a new one on me.

Stainless would be the way to go but it don't give too easy and could bend a prop shaft or something else when hitting rock.

I'd probably get a real stainless prop that is destined for the scrap yard and work on it. Most have a rubber hub that will give way if you hit something solid enough and may help with vibrations a little if the blades aren't exactly the same.

Is a mud rig just for mud? or something thats used in a more swampy area?

I'll have to google this thing.

Google MudBuddy or Beavertail mud motors.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

I looked it up last night, I would have never knew.

I helped in a prop shop for years and never heard of such a thing.

We have lakes so I guess nobody around here uses it.

Thanks for sharing.

Very similar are the Thai long-tail boats, which have been around since the late 30's. They come in all sizes. One of these days I'll get some relatives to send me a fit of parts.

Check out some of the small racing boat videos:

http://www.john-tom.com/Klong16/LongTail.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRvVOMPtwiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHCKLwXq0e0