Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Securing equipment on the road

I need some ideas on securing a Dynasty 200 and the 211 (I hope to get soon) along with a gen set in the back of a Bronco.

I put a slide in it today. The surface is 3/4 marine plywood with marine carpet.
    It works well and gives me access to the entire back of the truck (rear seat removed)

I would like to have some way to keep things where I put them and deter theft as much as possible. I haven't figured out how I'll tie down the Dynasty or the Mig other than a simple strap over the top.

Maybe some type of frame made from aluminum that locks? Hoping for some pics and ideas.

The best theft deterrent is a simple cover. If you can't see it, is it worth the risk? I personally travel with the dynasty 200 in the passenger floor. I never leave it in the truck overnight.

I remember my grandfather, when in downtown San Antonio, would remove his torch and put everything in his boxes. He carried extra washers for large bolts and he would use the welder with the washers to weld his boxes shut. He had had his boxes pryed open with crow bars too many times before to trust locks anymore.

He would leave out 1 welding rod and lock it in the truck and place it somewhere no one would think to look for important stuff. When he got back and needed in the boxes he'd use the rod and welder and burn through the washers to get into his boxes again.

Quote Originally Posted by clint738 View Post
    I remember my grandfather, when in downtown San Antonio, would remove his torch and put everything in his boxes. He carried extra washers for large bolts and he would use the welder with the washers to weld his boxes shut. He had had his boxes pryed open with crow bars too many times before to trust locks anymore.

He would leave out 1 welding rod and lock it in the truck and place it somewhere no one would think to look for important stuff. When he got back and needed in the boxes he'd use the rod and welder and burn through the washers to get into his boxes again.
    Now adays, he'd probably have to do something different since he always had +250ft of welding stinger lead for welding on rigs. That much copper would surely be a target for copper thiefs today.

yes a cover will always be used. For the life of me I can't come up with a Dynasty tie down without damaging or altering the case in some way.

There is large seat locking devise under the slide where the rear seat was held down. I'm thinking making the same size cut in the slide and strapping the generator there. Last thing I want is a 250lb gen, screaming towards me if I hit the brakes.

I could also put a cable / lock through this (a long one) then the slide wouldn't slide and I could route the cable through the handles of the welders and generator.

Some deterrent but not 100%. Making a frame for the welders to sit in might keep them from rolling around. Then there's freaking gas bottles, leads, tools, welding wire, clamps,,,, I'm running out of room fast.

What year is your Bronco? They're not large trucks to begin with, so you're fighting an uphill battle to make one into a full-on welding rig. I'm putting a LOT of extra crap into mine as I rebuild it from the ground up, but I don't plan to carry my 211 with any regularity. IMO, you'd be better off making a securable trailer. I built one on a minivan rear axle, and it seems to be VERY sturdy so far.

BTW
    If you need any Bronco-specific help, search the forums on http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/index.php
    Most questions have been answered many times already, so you don't have to wait for a reply.

Default Securing equipment on the road

The loudest alarm money can buy and weld in wire screen in the windows and don't forget dark window tint

Steve, my Bronco is a 93. Looks just like the pic you have on top. Same color.

I did not want to go the truck route, I wanted an enclosed trailer but I am working with what I have for now. The slide I put in is great. It was sold for a short bed Chevy but I got in. No rear seat, I didn't use it anyway. I can access the entire back now.

The new gen set needs a tie down plus Dynasty and 211. A little extra window tint has crossed my mind.

I guess just getting everything laid out and in place where it is stable when driving comes first.