Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Mm 252

Hybrid View

Default Mm 252

Well come Monday I will p/u a MM252, my 211 is a great unit but I have out grown it, but I will keep it and use it when we are wheeling out of town.The 212 is nice but it is a 211 with a 60% D.C. I have a Quot in hand for $2332.00 out the door with a bottle of Gas a wire.I guess I will start a new learning curve Monday night, I could use some pointers from time to time.All new wire and volts to work with.Up dates to fallow.

This unit is nice!! power up and it just feels so much better than the 211 I have.If any of you guys have any tips on this unit I would like to hear them. I have the large spool of wire on and the little tit is in a hole on the spool, should the spool have some play in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Great White TJ View Post
    This unit is nice!! power up and it just feels so much better than the 211 I have.If any of you guys have any tips on this unit I would like to hear them. I have the large spool of wire on and the little tit is in a hole on the spool, should the spool have some play in it?
    Yes, you should be able to turn the spool freely, with a very slight drag.

Ok the spool turns good to feed the wire, but the spool does not turn or roll stright as it is feeding the wire, the spool moves from side to side. The little tit is in the hole and the compression spring is on, and the 15/16 nut is on and hand tight. I turned the nut in all the way but it felt way to tight, It is the side to side movement that does not look right, any ideas on how to fix this.

Default Mm 252

Not a big deal, all my welders hv beed that way, it's a plastic hub and not a tight fit due to all the different wire spools. Some spools metal, plastic and so on. Adjust it with just enough drag to keep wire from sagging when let off trigger and run it. Wont hurt a thing.

Ok thanks, my drive roll pressure is at 3 and I had some slipping as I was welding, I will tighten the drive roll pressure and retighten the spool nut some. Just need to work it to the bugs out. Thanks for the help.

The big thing is to get the drag on the spool of wire set right. It is kind of like finding a good balance so that you don't have to use a ton of pressure on the drive rolls to get the wire off of the spool and not so loose that the spool overshoots or continues to spin when you let off of the trigger on the gun. A suggestion is to set the drag with the wire still not pulled off of the spool....when you give it a spin, it should NOT keep turning from momentum for very long at all....actually should stop right quick, but should still not be so tight that you have to be a gorilla to get it to turn. Like I said, you want the wire to come off of the spool without TOO much effort on the part of the drive rolls, but then you don't want the spool to "overshoot" when there is no more pull on the wire, otherwise you will get a bird's nest!
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.