Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think some of you might be over thinking this. He didn't design it. He didn't engineer it. He isn't going to install it. If he's still concerned about liability all he needs to do is tell his customer is "I can't weld this if it is a railing because it is sub code but if it is a pole bean trellis there isn't a problem." Man it sure would nice nice if I could get the kind of rates here that some of you guys take for granted.
    Sberry- I used to do a lot of work for farmers. I couldn't believe how some of them treated their equipment. My method was to build the repairs strong enough to shift the next breakage into someone else's engineering.
    Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    I think some of you might be over thinking this. He didn't design it. He didn't engineer it. He isn't going to install it. If he's still concerned about liability all he needs to do is tell his customer is "I can't weld this if it is a railing because it is sub code but if it is a pole bean trellis there isn't a problem." Man it sure would nice nice if I could get the kind of rates here that some of you guys take for granted.
    Sberry- I used to do a lot of work for farmers. I couldn't believe how some of them treated their equipment. My method was to build the repairs strong enough to shift the next breakage into someone else's engineering.
    Meltedmetal
    100% agree

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    Not sure but since he is repairing a section and not installing all new railing, I think he can match original. If he is doing in shop and has nothing to do with installation, the panel could be for anything as far as he knows. It could be for growing vines on. Who knows. BTW...for $50, I would not bother to turn on my lights, welder, use wire and gas.
    Not sure of where he is from but I'm pretty sure if anything is re-worked it must be brought up to current code. I know this is true for electrical, and definately if it is a rental unit...

I have to adjust a little because not everyone here has worked on railings enough to know that its not the people who want the railing that sues, it is the old ladies that fell due to snow on the step that can't be proven, but need their hospital bills paid for.

EVERYTHING I have said ONLY applies IF you are the installer as well. You can build anything you want, sell anything you want, just not install anything you want.

I did a lot of insurance railing requirement jobs to keep home owners insured or be forced to cancel. If the insurance companies are requiring it, then it is becoming a big deal.

When I belonged to NOMMA (wrought iron club of america), the stories were ridiculous. The code ACTUALLY reads that a 4 3/8" cone can not pass through with a said amount of force, and a 4" rule has been a standard. BUT, there is a small paragraph at the last chapter of the code book that says.... An inspector can OVERRULE ANY code that does not meet his/her standards. This small 3 sentence paragraph over rules the entire book at the inspectors personal judgement.

I love wrought iron, I miss doing it a lot, but I am not losing my company because of some BS that is out of my control. With that said, there are probably a couple hundred "big" wrought iron companies out there making a living every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    I think some of you might be over thinking this. He didn't design it. He didn't engineer it.
    Welcome to the world of wrought iron railings!

You have to deal with everyone else's crap like bad concrete, faulty framing, windows that were badly mounted, miss match steps, landscaping codes, changing codes (federal, state, local depending on each town), which codes are in effect at time of work (federal, state, local), is this a high children area, is this commercial/residential/public, is the neighbor ok with it (yes I have had to rework a job because of it), is it handicap accessible, does it need to meet ADA standards, ect, ect, ect.....

Edit: And any of this can not be added in to the bill or you will most likely lose the job due to home depot crap/plastic railings.

Default Price check on Welding.

50$?
    Umm!
    My minimum charge is 330$
    For a 1 minute job up to 3 hours!so do the maths

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox:303025
    50$?
    Umm!
    My minimum charge is 330$
    For a 1 minute job up to 3 hours!so do the maths
    Well that's awesome.... please tell me where your located, where I can find idiots to pay that? Actually I will just keep my minimum at $75 and have lots of new happy customers...

Default Price check on Welding.

75$/hourly?weldonman?are you in the states? Which parts? You got a truck set up and all?
    What kind of rig do you have ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox:303084
    75$/hourly?weldonman?are you in the states? Which parts? You got a truck set up and all?
    What kind of rig do you have ?
    Delaware, two trucks a.. 2005 1/2 ton Chevy, and a late 80s f350 flatbed with a bobcat 250. Have a main rig that's on a trailer with air comp and aead 200le (which is my favorite welder of all). And a separate welder for heavy gouging Lincoln sa250 on a trailer with air comp. I also have a weld/fab shop. 75 is my road rate, 55 is my shop rate. Pretty much the same as everyone else around here

Lot's of great discussion here! I charge $60 hr, and trip charge is $60 to show up. I could charge more as others have suggested but I get a lot of call backs. I charge $60 hr for anything I do. I don't consider myself as being a Mobile welder but I am able to get my welding equipment to the job site. There is only one other welder in my little town and he charges the same as me and is not mobile but he does have a dedicated weld shop. I only have my garage with welding table. I work full time for a Motorcycle Company as a Maintenance Mechanic (I'm Union) and I also have a locksmith Business with which I include ornamental welding as well as repairs. He had me Tig weld a Cast Aluminum Toyota Engine Block last weekend, charged for two hours labor (Prep, Preheat in oven, & weld). Whatever you decide to charge, pick a rate and stick to it. Better to ask for more and discount than to ask for too little and ask for more or take a loss. It would be neat to see more Welders get the rates higher but I'm not in a position to do it here without losing business. I don't want to be the cheapest guy in town either. If I charge too much they can always find someone cheaper. Especially with auto body where it's mostly Mig welding.