Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Price check on Welding.

I would like to know if I am in the ballpark on this welding job. Customer wants a 4' piece of porch railing welded up. He supplied the material cut to size. I don't have fixtures to clamp in as I don't usually do railings, more of a parts repair type shop. Will make something work. All I have to do is clamp, tack, and weld. Saw 4 small angle iron brackets to fasten on ends. Railing is 4'long with posts on 6" centers, about 8 of them. Quoted $50 and accepted. Is this price good for both parties or am I a little high?

Default how to I price my work?

Quote Originally Posted by mcostello View Post
    I would like to know if I am in the ballpark on this welding job. Customer wants a 4' piece of porch railing welded up. He supplied the material cut to size. I don't have fixtures to clamp in as I don't usually do railings, more of a parts repair type shop. Will make something work. All I have to do is clamp, tack, and weld. Saw 4 small angle iron brackets to fasten on ends. Railing is 4'long with posts on 6" centers, about 8 of them. Quoted $50 and accepted. Is this price good for both parties or am I a little high?
    What's your shop rate?...that and where you're located influences
    pricing

4" max. open spacing is code for railing pickets, so this ain't to code
    ...and the UBC covers the entire US as a minimum

Default Price check on Welding.

4' of ornamental railing is not really worth the time. I would need to charge $400. With punched bottom rail channel and molded top rail. Primed and painted. Takes a lot of time for for such a short rail. $50 is not worth the time, even if its next door.

Both these guys said exactly what I was going to. Such a small job just do it for what you think is fair (obviously this was $50) and balusters may not have larger than 4" openings.

It doesn't matter if your to high or to low because you accepted the job at $50. After your done you'll know either way. Keep track of your time.

All your doing is welding 8 ballusters to a top & bottom with 4 angle clips. No material, no install, no prime/paint, no p/u & delivery. Shouldn't take long at all.

If you spend much time researching/worrying about this you will have used up half the money already.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

turbo38t Guest

It really depends on your location, your customer base etc. If you are trying to get your name out there and you do it on the side that could be acceptable. ISome people say you shouldn't do work on the side but when you have a mortgage, a 50/hr week job and it's still not cutting it opening up a legit shop is not always possible. I chopped the back of a cb750 frame off, rolled a piece of tube , welded it back in and plated it for $200.....normally I would charge $400 or more but the guy was nice and has spread the word. Last week , through a CL ad I had a girl call up(she worked at a hardware store 5 minutes away. She needed a small angle clip REWELDED on the end of a thin angle for he sound recording stuff. I picked it up, welded it and had it back in 1/2 hour. I quoted $20, she gave me an extra $5 for gas and didn't charge me for a toilet bowl stopper that I needed. YOU decide if the price is right. I do this on the side for fun and any extra money is great. I also do it 50 hours during the week and enjoy every minute of it. I purposely TIG most jobs at my house just for the fun of it. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    It doesn't matter if your to high or to low because you accepted the job at $50. After your done you'll know either way. Keep track of your time.

All your doing is welding 8 ballusters to a top & bottom with 4 angle clips. No material, no install, no prime/paint, no p/u & delivery. Shouldn't take long at all.

If you spend much time researching/worrying about this you will have used up half the money already.

I may sound like I am splitting hairs but the code actually states no 4" sphere shall be able to pass through any part of a railing so the minimun is actually less than 4",BTW if your customer is in a rural area and thier is no inspection requred don't be tempted to break code rules,insurance peope can find you anywhere.As far as the price,youll lose money no matter what on this job,if you quoted the price stick with it and write it off as a learning experiance.Good Luck

Not sure but since he is repairing a section and not installing all new railing, I think he can match original. If he is doing in shop and has nothing to do with installation, the panel could be for anything as far as he knows. It could be for growing vines on. Who knows. BTW...for $50, I would not bother to turn on my lights, welder, use wire and gas.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

A welding shop that is in business isnt paying anyone to do it at that rate.

If I had 10 little jobs like this in my shop at $50 a pc. I would do it all day long. Knock them out in a day & get $500. If you have to do any travelling for just one pc. it wouldn't be worth it. Sometimes I do a lot of little jobs like this. It all adds up.

Just did one yesterday. Stopped on my way to a job & welded one bracket on for a customer. In n out in 30 minutes. $50.
    Last edited by MMW; 02-02-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24