Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default home made purge block ideas

guys,
    i searched and couldnt find many pics of any purge blocks on here.
    i will be practicing tig welding on stainless sheet metal and want to do it the correct way.

i like to make my own tools when possible, and would like you to share any of your pics and ideas on how you made your purge blocks, or where did you buy them ?

thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

i seen some a few years ago in a magazine. i think they were a thin box shape made out of copper with drilled holes throughout...and a fitting for the argon line..
    does this sound correct ?
    thanks
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Here is an article by Miller on tig welding titanium but the techniques are applicable to stainless also.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...tanium-welding
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt hands View Post
    Here is an article by Miller on tig welding titanium but the techniques are applicable to stainless also.
    The pieces in the second photo look a lot like the ones I've made for myself.
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer

FABMAN,

Here are 2 trailing shields I made.
    Quick and cheap to make for a one time job.

Used fine stainless mesh for the gas diffuser and .035" stainless for the back. SS tubing is 1/4" diam.

Next version will use stainless perforated metal with .033" diam holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt hands View Post
    FABMAN,

Here are 2 trailing shields I made.
    Quick and cheap to make for a one time job.

Used fine stainless mesh for the gas diffuser and .035" stainless for the back. SS tubing is 1/4" diam.
    I like the idea of using fine mesh ... thanks.
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer