Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Weld test/interview?

Hi i am new to this forum and i have a question about a weld test/interview.
    I recently sent a email to a fab company in my area asking if they had any mig welding positions available. The last time i have welded was 5 years ago as a union worker. I welded for that company for 2 years before i moved to a new city. I have since been doing landscaping and window cleaning in the summer with family and using my pay and a inheritance in the winters to get by. Now i want to get back in to welding.

I recievd a email back saying they do not have any work today but that can change tomorrow. They asked if i can stop in for a weld test/interview i have not called them back yet to set it up. I wanted to know what should i wear and do i have to have my own gear? I only have timberland nubuck boots or old brown steel tip boots, jeans and hoodies i was thinking of wearing. I do not have my weld boots, gloves, tools or my hood anymore but i would buy everything if i got the job. Also i am a little worried about taking a weld test after not welding in five years even tho my welds were always good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
    JD
    Last edited by JD412; 01-31-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Default Weld test/interview?

You can't buy a cheep pair of gloves and borrow a hood and jacket? I would bring a basic bag of tools and PPE. I don't know exactly the company and what there are going to expect or exactly what the position being filled is.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

All places I have done a weld test for have supplied me with the gear to do the test. I would at least wear boots, jeans and a long sleeve shirt just in case they don't provide a jacket or sleeves. They should at least have some gloves and a hood you can use. I would just ask them about it when u set up the interview.

Default weld test

First be honest with them up front. How many years you been welding. Most important how long you have been out of it. That way your inspector does not judge you wrong. Most of the time they will let you run a few practice beads. To kinda see if you look like you have a idea what your doing. Also when taking a weld test go as prepared as possible to do the job. Welding test that is. If you don't have a hood some will loan One some won't. Dress appropriate jeans shirt boots so on. Remember your the one wanting the job. There are probably a few more wanting it as well.
    ARMOR
    MOBILE WELDING&SERVICES
    Trailblazer 302
    X-TREME 12VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Millermatic 135
    WeldCraft WPseries TIG torch
    Smith oxy set.

Every company will most likely be different. The first shop I worked at they would set the machine (stick) at zero & give you two or three different size/type rods & ask you to run a few beads with each. So you had to know what amps to run, etc.

I agree with previous comments, jeans, boots, long shirt, borrow a helmet & gloves. Find somebody with a welder if you can & try to practice some. Be honest, clean cut & polite.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Where do you live?

Tape measure on belt, marker in pocket. If it was Ironworkin would have a 12 inch adjustable in back pocket, if it was pipe fitting would be a 12 inch channeloks haha
    Last edited by Sberry; 02-02-2013 at 10:31 AM.

If you are in the field at all learn to stand around yakking on the cell phone looking important explaining to someone why the job cant get done. Ha, ok, well if they want to take a look go ahead, doesnt sound like you have much to lose and if they were not interested at all you would have got a rejection, dont bother etc but they ask you back.