Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: School Me

Default School Me

In short, I went to Tech for 1 year. Passed a 6g pipe test with stick and all the prior test.

In that time I never got to hold a Tig torch or a Mig gun. I learned Tig at a boat prop shop helping there when it was busy for 10yrs or so.

I now own a Dynasty 200 (3 yrs) and love it. But over 25yrs doing some kind of welding I have still not touched a Mig.

So tell me about Mig Machines. I'm looking at the Millermatic 211. I have not looked at other brands. I would like to buy American, but I really don't know who makes what. I did search it, but still no clear answers, assembled here but components elsewhere, components here but assembled elsewhere.

Is Miller the only US company for machines? or am I wrong about that?

Anyway, The Dynasty is not always the choice for the small job down the road. I don't like the extreme cleaning for Tig plus the positions you wind up in and Stick on thin stuff isn't my cup of tea. I do like stick welding but it seems I always say, I wish I had a Mig for this even tho I have never used one.

I need a portable Mig to run from a Generator. It would be faster, get in tight places easier, less cleaning before and after, no filler or rods to mess with and the list goes on.

So what do you guys suggest for good portable Mig that compares to the 211?

Hobart is also an American company along with Lincoln Electric

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    In short, I went to Tech for 1 year. Passed a 6g pipe test with stick and all the prior test.

In that time I never got to hold a Tig torch or a Mig gun. I learned Tig at a boat prop shop helping there when it was busy for 10yrs or so.

I now own a Dynasty 200 (3 yrs) and love it. But over 25yrs doing some kind of welding I have still not touched a Mig.

So tell me about Mig Machines. I'm looking at the Millermatic 211. I have not looked at other brands. I would like to buy American, but I really don't know who makes what. I did search it, but still no clear answers, assembled here but components elsewhere, components here but assembled elsewhere.

Is Miller the only US company for machines? or am I wrong about that?

Anyway, The Dynasty is not always the choice for the small job down the road. I don't like the extreme cleaning for Tig plus the positions you wind up in and Stick on thin stuff isn't my cup of tea. I do like stick welding but it seems I always say, I wish I had a Mig for this even tho I have never used one.

I need a portable Mig to run from a Generator. It would be faster, get in tight places easier, less cleaning before and after, no filler or rods to mess with and the list goes on.

So what do you guys suggest for good portable Mig that compares to the 211?
    Not American made but a good product

http://victortechnologies.com/Therma...SB_3-30-12.pdf
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

If the miller 211 fits your needs for amps and duty cycle it is a pretty darn good deal. Migs are great to have around.

Quote Originally Posted by k2thab81 View Post
    Hobart is also an American company along with Lincoln Electric
    It is actually hard to find out who makes what. Some say Miller makes Hobart and other claim Lincoln is made in Mexico and Ohio.

When price is very close I would have to go blue. I see a ton of Lincoln Migs for sale. Don't think it's quality issue just that there are more of them and people buy them at local stores for a backyard shop tool and never use them.

This does it all http://victortechnologies.com/Therma...SB_3-30-12.pdf
    but its the first time I've heard of it. Priced like the 211.

First you need to figure out what you will be welding then size the machine to your work. If the 211 fits the bill then it is a good machine.

Hardrock40 wrote "I need a portable Mig to run from a Generator. It would be faster, get in tight places easier, less cleaning before and after, no filler or rods to mess with and the list goes on."

I can answer yes & no for these statements. There have been times where only stick was able to fit down inside something. Cleaning is with all types of welding & your filler wire is on a spool.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24