Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default chop saw recommendations?

Just looking for good chop saw recommendations....thanks

I like dewalt, you can change the cutting wheel pretty quick and the handle and trigger are more comfortable than Milwaukees I have used.

Milwaukee has a better table and clamp than the dewalt. I'd get the cold saw version instead of the abrasive though, better straighter faster cuts.

I really like my Ridgid. I have used many saws but I like this one best. The cast base is very heavy and stable. Very minimal vibrations and the vise works good. I use Sg Elastic brand abrasives on it and it cuts as square as you set it.

If you have the money though there are better saws when you get into carbide units.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 01-31-2013 at 08:06 PM.

I got to get in on this one.
    Ridgid hands down
    Heavy cast iron base. = no flexing
    the handle is horizontal = easier on the wrist.
    And good. Power doesn't bog down.

My second choice would be a makita.
    Those are fab shop beasts.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

I like my Makita 2414NB. Functionally it works well and like all my other Makita stuff it's held up great. I like it a lot better than some of the other brands I've used at jobs or school over the years.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

The best imo is the evolution. Great blade. Cuts at alower rpm. Its made for steel. Little higher than most, but well worth it!!!

Default chop saw recommendations?

Abrasive or carbide blade?

Porta-Band

Not knowing your location, Menards had the RAGE 2 for 199.00. Cheap price considering it was big bucks not long ago.
    Port a band is a MUST HAVE tool. I set one up vertically on a stand as a fixed saw. Got it cheap because the casting at front of saw was broke and exposed blade. Made up a guard and works great.