Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Thermal Arc T-Bird

I just picked up a Thermal Arc T-Bird 10 / 270 HE yesterday. It runs OK, needs a tune up since it likes the choke right now. That's OK, its a honda, I think I can make it work. It welds fine and the 120 outlets work, haven't tested the 240 or 3 phase outlets yet.

I do have a couple questions for somebody familiar with this welder:

1) Can somebody point me to a chart with year vs serial #? I'm guessing late 90's.
    2) Auto idle doesn't work - full speed only. Anything to look for first?
    3) I came across a statement on one of the forums something like this "the dreaded ends in "c" serial #". I'm curious what the issue is?
    4) I understand (thanks to Cruizer's past posts) that the "microwindings" can fry under heavy continuous welding load. Would it be just as bad if I was running my XMT 350 (using the 460V aux output) under the same welding conditions?
    5) Can I use a Miller pedal / remote / etc on this machine? What about my 8rc wirefeeder? I probably won't need to since I have the XMT, but it would be nice to know.
    6) Any other issues or PM measures I don't know about?

Thanks for your time.

Jason
    Last edited by BCRD; 01-30-2013 at 06:55 PM.

What you have to do first is remove the control board and add dielectric grease to the connector pins. T-arcs reasoning was that no one else was doing it so why should they. Well. every brand now does it. And that cost T-dyne a butt load of failed boards. May also be why your auto idle isn't working, though really there wasn't much difference between high and low anyways.
    -
    Yep everything Miller fits it
    Its a pure sinewave generator, Your XMT will work fine off it.

Honestly though Use it as a part time welder, or full time generator. It'll last a long time in this format.