Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ot project

Default Ot project

A lady found my web site from Craigslist. She has a very old special piece of wood barn siding. She wanted two names carved on it with date. The wood was falling apart and was warped and cupped. I had to wet it down and clamp it to get it flat enough to carve on my machine. After a lot of crap, I finally got it to work.
    After I wet it down, I had to let it dry before cutting...while cutting...because the wood was so old and dry, surfaces pieces starting chipping off so I wet it again to soften the wood fibers. Well, at that point, it wouldn't cut worth a darn so I had to stop. Too many loose wet fibers. Then I thought what the heck to do. I then thought, let it dry again and give it a coat of spar urethane to glue the loose parts down and harden the frizzies. The next morning, I set the cutter down about another .020 and it cut well plus cleaned the urethane out of the low spots. What a pain. I didn't try anything like coating at first because they wanted the wood in its natural state. I called her and said what I wanted to do for it to cut well so that's it. Btw, I welded on the machine that did this The board is about 42" long
    Nick20130130_115302.jpg
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Thats pretty cool - must be an old barn board from grandpas place, huh? I know the old guy I bought my place from wanted some of the old barn boards to give to his grandkids and such....Good idea on the urethane!

Default wood art

Very very cool great job.
    ARMOR
    MOBILE WELDING&SERVICES
    Trailblazer 302
    X-TREME 12VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Millermatic 135
    WeldCraft WPseries TIG torch
    Smith oxy set.

Sounds like a dull bit/cutter head. Looks nice though in the end!

Good thinking, that old wood is like cutting through playdoh.

Good thing it says May 4th, May 3rd is reserved for me, my wedding day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Sounds like a dull bit/cutter head. Looks nice though in the end!
    Bit was sharp carbide v bit and was running at 23000 rpm. Thanks
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press