Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Squarewave vs. Advanced squarewave vs. Soft squarewave vs. ...

My Dynasty 200 DX offers Advanced squarewave, Soft squarewave and Sine wave with square transitions. Miller's Selecting a TIG Welder Q&A http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...s-and-options/ says that Squarewave is
    Squarewave technology shortens the switching time between EN and EP so that the welding machine has sufficient "push" to drive the arc through the zero crossing and then re-establish the arc in the opposite polarity.
    and that Advanced Squarewave
    Advanced squarewave technology switches the weld polarity thousands of times faster than a conventional squarewave machine, dramatically improving arc starts and arc stability. It also permits more precise control over the weld puddle, bead width and penetration by adjusting output frequency and extending balance control.
    Looking at the diagrams on page 6 of the TIG Buyers Guide http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/TIGBuyersGuide.pdf...

Do any of these waveforms look like the original Squarewave? If not, does anyone have a picture of what the original Squarewave looked like?

TIA,

Ken

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thanks Ed Broccoli1,

I have that document printed out. I need to read it cover to cover again. So it looks like the traditional squarewave is now referred to as "soft squarewave". I guess it is easier to sell a machine with the new soft squarewave rather than the old/original squarewave

Ken