Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Wheels For A Truck Rack

My truck rack costs me about 1 MPG to carry around on my truck. Since I don't use it on a regular basis I wanted to be able to take it off when not needed and put it back on when it is. I have a set of A-frames, but can't leave it there when it is not on the truck. The area is used for parking, and is also the entrance to the double doors on my shop, not to mention I may need to hoist something else besides the rack.
    I used 2, 5" pieces of 2.5x2.5x1/4" angle iron and 2 pieces of 2x2x1/4" angle and a piece of 5/8" rod for the axle for each one. I sandwiched a piece of 1/4" angle between the other angle already mentioned, and the rod on the other side. Then I welded the rod on both sides to both pieces of angle iron. This makes for a snug slip fit to the bed rail pieces, so no need for set screws to hold it on, gravity does just fine. I put them on at the balance point of the rack and I can move it around like a wheel barrow. I figure some of y'all might be able to use this idea for the same reason I needed it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats a great idea.Truck rack could use a coat of paint.

Quote Originally Posted by kevhead63 View Post
    Thats a great idea.Truck rack could use a coat of paint.
    Yeah I know it could. I painted it in Sept 2001 after the 9/11 incident and haven't refreshed it since. That's when I was building it, and was wanting a flag for my truck but everyone was sold out, so I painted the rack like that. Don't know if I will repaint it the same or go with a solid color this time. That paint job takes a few days to do and is kind of labor intensive VS. a solid color.

Default Literature Holder

Brochures are advertising pieces mainly used to introduce a company or organization, and inform about products and/or services to a target audience.

Literature Holder