Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m252 troubles

Default m252 troubles

I'm trying to figure out why my m252 keeps messing up on me. Quite often the lead and gun will start vibrating really bad. Then the wire starts spitting out until it just quits on me. I'll check to make sure the lead is fairly strait and that the tip is clean. Everything will check out and I'll jog the wire. It will feed just fine. Then as soon as I stile an arc it messes up again. The liner is new and I've tried just about everything I can think of to fix it. I know it not meant for heavy industrial use but my bosses seem to think that it is. Could these symptoms be from over use or is this welder just junk?

More info.

Wire size,
    wire type
    Are you using a knurled drive roller/s

Cool

I have problems almost everyday with my MM252 and .045 gas flux wire. I found that a knurled roll on the bottom and a smooth one on top works better. I have to leave the wire tension pretty loose or it birdnests, sometimes a few times a day. Then because the wire tension is loose the wire gets stuck in the tip then more birdsnests. The Miller tips are about a 1/4" too long for my liking as they stick out from the nozzle so i whiz wheel them off and file the inside. Can't really complain about the machine as i have made almost 85 grand with it and only put 1 liner and a few dozen tips in it and maybe 5 nozzles. Solid wire is just fine and works like it should....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Have you tried running out 8 to 10" of wire, unfastening the contact tip and physically try sliding the tip on the wire to see if it's free?
    Sounds to me like you tip is boogered up somehow.
    If there is a bunch of crud built up on the back of the tip best be checking/changing the liner. I've seen sharp edges on the trimmed end of a liner scrape off wire shavings and clog a tip.
    Like cruizer said more specifics would probably help in you diagnosis.

Is the wire inlet tube offset or clogged. Also, does this happen after you get a birds nest or jerk in the wire? Just saying because you may not know it and when you refeed the wire through the liner, it hit something made a jerk and now it is still in the liner making more little jerks at the drive wheels.

Sound to me like the contact tip is getting to hot.

Default m252 troubles

Well I'm running 035 solid wire. It's not bird nesting and the tips are clean. I take pretty good care of the welder and gun. But I'm constantly going through tips because its blowing back when I strike arcs. I also thought that maybe the nozzle and tip where getting too hot but it was still acing up after it had cooled for thirty minutes.

Is the V groove in the lower drive roll lined up with the inlet and outlet guides?

Also make certain that the groove in the upper roll meshes with the wire when it is lowered. There is some side to side play in the pressure arm at the pivot point.

Your liner could have a kink in it. Exactly how new is the liner. If the welder sees a lot of hours in a day, and your running a wire that the copper coating flakes of easily the liner could have debris building up in it quickly.

Have you tried adjusting your run-in percentage to see if it helps the arc starts?

Default m252 troubles

Yeah everything on the welder itself is mechanically sound. I'm constantly making sure it's in proper order. The liner is a few months old and I changed it out because i thought that is was causing the problems. However with a new liner it jacked up that day. I feel like it's being over worked. I'm running it at 21 volts pretty much 8 hours a day. That's not constant and I am consistently checking my duty cycle.

Default m252 troubles

What is the run in percentage?