Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Are you sure this is cast "aluminum" and not cast "iron" , "steel" or ductile iron?

What did he just say red hot aluminum ??? Wow lots of talanted guys out there

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Spool gun for me...Bob
    I'll refraze my previous statement. I only know of tig for small cast aluminum repairs. I have used a spool gun before but that would have taken me 3 days to tig vs 6 hours mig.

Yeah for sure it's aluminum. It was a broken snow cleat for roofing. Don't know how or why it welded with flux core gas less wire, but it did. As far as getting red hot, 90 amps and a few minutes welding pretty much got it there. It sure befuzzles me too.

Yeah mike, just caught what I said . Not "red hot". Lol. Way too hot to touch.

Sounds like you had some electroplated steel to me.......of course my opinion and .75 will get ya a cup of coffee

Quote Originally Posted by jrscgsr View Post
    This thread makes my brain hurt. Please put down the whip and step away before someone gets hurt
    I'm gonna have to go with that answer. Why????

1. Got aluminum "red hot"

2. Quenched it in snow while it was "red hot"

All I can say is WOW!!!!!
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

Default Pictures????

I'd LOVE to see some pictures of this weld....
    Or, better yet, do it again and take a video!!!!!

Red hot aluminum..... Wow!
    Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
    My own shop since 1981
    Cya Frank

welded cast alum. with fluxcore
    No you did not. You just got a little confused. Back off and try again.

Default aluminum fluxcore weld

That's it, not pretty. That's the snow cleat that I welded.