Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller Legend P218G, cranks but won't start.

Hi fellow welders. I have a Miller Legend P218G. Owned it since it was new in 1993. It will crank but won't start. The solenoid is inoperative but will activate when power is applied to it. No spark either. Any suggestions?

It's a good possibility the coil has gone out, causing the no spark condition. That would be a good place to start looking, it's also possible the spark plug itself finally laid down. If it's the original plug, it's probably past due to be changed anyway. Install a new coil and spark plug and see what you got. You can get the parts cheaper at a local small engine shop that deals with the brand of engine on it rather than the local welding supply/Miller dealer. Just have the engine model and serial number handy when you call to ask about the parts.

Default thank you Bistineay will do today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    It's a good possibility the coil has gone out, causing the no spark condition. That would be a good place to start looking, it's also possible the spark plug itself finally laid down. If it's the original plug, it's probably past due to be changed anyway. Install a new coil and spark plug and see what you got. You can get the parts cheaper at a local small engine shop that deals with the brand of engine on it rather than the local welding supply/Miller dealer. Just have the engine model and serial number handy when you call to ask about the parts.
    Thanks for your input. Noticed mouse nest after I pulled off all the covers but no evidence of any chewed off wires. Spark plugs are not original but will replace anyway. Everything else is original from '93. It has been a babied Legend living indoors and a backup for a solar installation with about 2500 hours on the meter. Will dig in more today. thanks again.

Default coil resistance test

Quote Originally Posted by LBourque1 View Post
    Thanks for your input. Noticed mouse nest after I pulled off all the covers but no evidence of any chewed off wires. Spark plugs are not original but will replace anyway. Everything else is original from '93. It has been a babied Legend living indoors and a backup for a solar installation with about 2500 hours on the meter. Will dig in more today. thanks again.
    Did a resistance test on the coil across the "+" and "-" terminals and the spark plug terminals and all are within specified range.
    Getting a funny reading on the battery though. Has anyone ever had a battery with reversed posts. The "+" seem to be giving me a "-" reading. Have checked it with other battery and testers and wonder how it could happen, will get a new battery today as the old one is from 2007.

Reversed polarity at the coil will fry the ignition module located behind the flywheel. Posted the test procedure in your thread over on WeldingWeb.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=242371
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Default Battery reverse polarity

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Reversed polarity at the coil will fry the ignition module located behind the flywheel. Posted the test procedure in your thread over on WeldingWeb.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=242371
    Went to purchase a new battery yesterday and asked the salesperson to test the battery I brought in from the Legend, the poles were reversed. The Legend did turn over but without any spark. Have all the shrouds off now and will try the new battery to see where to go next. Testing the ignition module and replacing the condenser are on my "to do" list for tomorrow.