Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Safety Question - sparks/wood ceiling ?

Can anyone address a concern I have on safety.

I'm putting fire proof welding curtains up in garage,
    cement floor, cement outside wall.
    My concern is the ceiling - typical peaked plywood roof with
    a few 2x4 trusses 10 feet high.
    Should I put fire proofing up there as well ?
    Using a passport plus.

Please advise,

Thanks, Stu

As long as your welding at shoulder height or lower I don't see problem. Gas shielded solid wire?

A lot of it is just keeping your SA up.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Using the CO2 internal bottle.
    May get a bigger bottle in a while - see how it goes.
    Just doing tack welds for armatures.

Thanks, Stu

On the other hand, if the shop already is torn apart, etc, why not add it now if you can?

I would say get a couple of fire extinguishers . If gasoline is stored there invest in a safety can instead of plastic containers.
    I don't think your gonna have sparks going up seven feet above your welding table. If you are concerned hang a blanket above the table.

Fire extinguishers are a must no matter what. My shop is pretty good sized - 40 X 60 with 14' ceiling, and I dont weld or cut on anything before leaving. Even then I turn the lights off and look around in the dark to make sure theres nothing smoldering. Another good reason to have a clean shop

No gas or flammables in garage,
    just wondering about sparks going up to ceiling.
    Two new fire extinguishers in place.

Thanks, Stu

Quote Originally Posted by fjk View Post
    On the other hand, if the shop already is torn apart, etc, why not add it now if you can?
    Yeah guess your right - I'll sleep better.

Thanks, Stu

I would not worry with ceilings that high. I frequently weld in an area with 8' ceilings and there is zero spatter trails on it.

We try to go back and check for fire/problems three to four hours after the end of operations for the day. We have found a wall on fire and various things smouldering. Guess I need to clean up the shop. Also cooling pumps in trouble(not welding equipment) and things left on that we were told had been shut down. My experience is that a few hours will give a problem time to get going enough to be noticeable.-Meltedmetal