Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: .052 overkill?

Default .052 overkill?

I'm using .052 solid core wire to weld 3/8 to 1/4 domex, always seem to get a little undercut no matter what I try, opinions on this please

turbo38t Guest

U can make that work....lower the voltage a bit and or raise the wire speed....let it freeze a little quicker...

Default under cut

How does your welding supervisor say to fix it. Just curious
    ARMOR
    MOBILE WELDING&SERVICES
    Trailblazer 302
    X-TREME 12VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Millermatic 135
    WeldCraft WPseries TIG torch
    Smith oxy set.

Thank you turbo, I have been running at 30 volts and just a hair above 4 ipm, Friday before I left work I turned my machine down to 28. I will raise the wire speed monday and let you know how it turned out. And actually right now we don't have a supervisor, and when we did he wasn't very knowledgeable on welding

Default .052

I bet if you look at your wire again you will see it's metal core not solid. Your numbers don't sound that bad to me. I would try changing your gun angle a bit and your travel speed.
    ARMOR
    MOBILE WELDING&SERVICES
    Trailblazer 302
    X-TREME 12VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Millermatic 135
    Smith oxy set.

Thank you armor, and yes your right, its metal core wire, tri mark metalloy, made by Hobart brothers

Thank you both for your inputs, I have been MIG welding for only 2 years now and just recently discovered this forum. I believe this is going to be a great tool for me.

Default .052

It's a great sight. You can get some great information on here. But remember it's free so always do your homework.
    ARMOR
    MOBILE WELDING&SERVICES
    Trailblazer 302
    X-TREME 12VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Millermatic 135
    Smith oxy set.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by k2thab81 View Post
    And actually right now we don't have a supervisor, and when we did he wasn't very knowledgeable on welding
    Thats pretty common in a shop...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48