Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Question MM 250X Who has info on reliability,etc.

I am new here , so bear with me..
    I have the opportunity to get a (used, very little) miller matic 250X Mig Welder..

I would like to get some ideas on the good, the bad, and the uglies about this machine.

I can get it from a gentleman(neighbor) that bought it in 1999 and hasn't had hardly any use..

I'm certainly not a certified welder,but am dangerous enough to get by...
    Anyway, I know that 250$ is a Steal on this machine..He gave over $1900 in 1999.

I would appreciate any ideas on what trouble(if any) to expect from it..Thanks a lot to all..Trav.

For 250 there really is no question. If it works that's a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    For 250 there really is no question. If it works that's a steal.
    It works perfectly..Good enough that when I welded with it, It made me look I knew what I was doing...Thank You...Trav

Buy it!
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by truckertrav View Post
    I am new here , so bear with me..
    I have the opportunity to get a (used, very little) miller matic 250X Mig Welder..

I would like to get some ideas on the good, the bad, and the uglies about this machine.

I can get it from a gentleman(neighbor) that bought it in 1999 and hasn't had hardly any use..

I'm certainly not a certified welder,but am dangerous enough to get by...
    Anyway, I know that 250$ is a Steal on this machine..He gave over $1900 in 1999.

I would appreciate any ideas on what trouble(if any) to expect from it..Thanks a lot to all..Trav.
    It better be in your garage!!!!!!!
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default Done Deal

I called today and made the deal....I will pick it up Mon or Tues.. going out of town to see grandkids this weekend...

Thanks for the replies, everyone...Trav..

The only major issue , I remember there being with this machine is with the hot start. It makes it a poor .023 sheet metal unit. If you do a search on this Forum you should find posts from a Miller expert (Kevin if I'm remembering correctly) on how to by-pass the hot start feature by tapping into the circuit board and adding an on/off toggle switch that would allow you to turn the hot start feature on or off.

Some people aren't very found of the arc characteristics or somewhat sluggish weld puddle wet out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The only major issue , I remember there being with this machine is with the hot start. It makes it a poor .023 sheet metal unit. If you do a search on this Forum you should find posts from a Miller expert (Kevin if I'm remembering correctly) on how to by-pass the hot start feature by tapping into the circuit board and adding an on/off toggle switch that would allow you to turn the hot start feature on or off.

Some people aren't very found of the arc characteristics or somewhat sluggish weld puddle wet out too.
    Danny, thank you for the info...I will check into that and make the modification or whatever else updates might be needed..

This machine will not be used for anything less than 1/8 inch steel..I have a smaller machine for that.....

Mainly, repairs on utility trailers(our own), farm equipment, stuff like that..

I am just a rookie (although an old one), when it comes to pretty welds..so not looking customer approved is not an issue...

I really appreciate the comments and suggestions...

Maybe, in due time, I will get better at welding..Trav..