Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miller 211

Default Miller 211

How many 211 owners do we have on board? I just bought a new 211 in December of 2012 and I pulled it out of the box to give it a once over and when I tried to get the door open on it I could not get it open. And I thought crap I remember seeing a U-tube video dealing with the same problem. I just figured it was due to rough handling by the delivery boys but I guess not. So I was a little surprised when my door wouldn't open.

I called Bill at IOC in Indiana and he said that it was pretty common problem so they have been double boxing them but I guess that doesn't help. I ended up taking the body off of it and smacked the the frame a couple of times with a rawhide hammer and now I can get it opened.

I gave Miller a call to find out what the problem is and from what I got out of our conversation was it ain't no big deal and it didn't sound like Miller intended to remedy the situation.I would imagine all the small Millers might have this problem. I suggested adding a extra ribb to the bottom of the welder or bolting or welding another piece down there for a little extra strength but I think it went right over his head when I suggested this.He said they have been putting a piece of OSB in the bottom of the box to keep the welder floor from getting bent but it looks like thats not working much

I was a little disappointed to say the least. I said its not right to pay over a grand for something and have to take it apart & work on it before you can use it.
    And you know there wasn't any signs that UPS did their usual beat the crap out of the thing before I got it.

Well I'm goinna get off my soap box now so let me know if any others have had this problem. Thanks.

Mark

Default Miller 211

The first 211 I got came with a broken hinge. I tried to mount it to the cart and found the frame was bent. It looked like it was dropped on the corner. I sent it back. The replacement came damaged so bad the door wouldn't open and the frame was bent even worse. I figured for $1000 I should be getting a good working welder. I sent it back. IOC said they couldn't afford to send another one and gave my money back. I went local to find another one. It was about $100 more, but I got to check it out before buying. It was fine. I've had it for a little over a year now. The only problem is the smooth start doesn't work when on 230v. That's another story. It's a great welder though.

Thanks for the reply Labmaster I was begining to think I had the only 211 on the forum. Wow I guess I got off easy thats to bad you had that kind of luck. I've bought 2 welders off of IOC and other than the door which wasn't their fault I've had good luck with IOC. The box on my 211 wasn't beat up it almost seems like it rolled off the the assembly line like that.

My local Miller dealer wouldn't give me a decent price on it so thats why I bought both my Miller's from IOC.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by oleblu72 View Post

My local Miller dealer wouldn't give me a decent price on it so that's why I bought both my Miller's from IOC.

Mark
    I bought my MM210 from IOC in 2004. They're in Indiana, I am in Houston, Texas. FedEx attempted delivery the next day! Apparently, IOC has your machine drop shipped from the closest Miller warehouse.

Yeah I believe thats what IOC says right on their site that it is shipped right from Miller. I think about every package I get that UPS delivers is drop shipped or run over by their van or somethin like that at least the package looks like it.

Mark

I know that there are quite a few 211 owners since that is what is usually recommended for new welders, but they don't post much.

I can't give any feedback because 50% of my customers are less then 1/2 a mile from the NJ Miller warehouse and I pick up all my machines from there direct. I can say that they take pride in the warehouse/packing/organization there.

Default Miller 211

IOC was great about fixing the problem. Ive bought other things from them without any issues. It was UPS that was dropping the boxes. It also wouldn't hurt if Miller strengthened the corners of the boxes a little too.

I purchased a miller 211 a couple months ago from lws and everything was fine with mine. I am new to the forum and don't get to weld a whole lot so no post about my 211.

I picked mine up like 3 years ago, drop shipped from miller purchased either at IOC or Cyberweld cant remember now. The welder came in perfect shape and was just shipped in its factory packaging. I might have requested FedX if it was available as UPS likes to destroy stuff if it has any weight to it. I have been amazed in the past at the damage UPS can do to packages.

Thanks for all the replys guys. My 211 was double boxed and after talking with Bill at IOC this was a problem so IOC started double boxing. I think it would be an easy fix for Miller to strengthen the floor of their smaller line of welders. But I guess I should feel fortunate because this was the only problem with my 211 everything else was fine, thanks again.

Mark