Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default question about shades

Hey guys can anyone share with me there best experience with shade selection for outdoors? Like shade number and would it matter gold or green or whatever. Just not sure what to choose for new job outside in the field and wondered from experience of you guys if glare or sun changes things? Thanks in advance

I herd to go a shade lighter I use a 10 for short arc so I would try a 9 in my case but haven't welded out side in a while

Back glare (sun behind you) can be a problem when welding outside.Some rig up a leather flap to hang off the backside of thier helmet.The arc is just as bright under the helmet inside or outside a sfar as I can tell.

Get a back hood/cover for your helmet and you're good to go. Same settings or lens as you would use inside.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

I'll second the flap to stop light from behind you. Light coming in from behind, ESPECIALLY SUNLIGHT that reflects off of the backside of my lenses is really hard for me to deal with.

I just asked my wife to make one out of some good strong fabric she had lying around (old denim, I think). Then we put some snaps along the edge of the fabric to match the holes for snaps we made in my helmet. Snaps for both helmet and fabric were purchased at a fabric store. A back flap can make the helmet kind of claustrophobic and get in the way some, but you will get used to that. You may have to experiment some to find a size/design that works for you, but I'd recommend some fireproof fabric for the flap if you can get some, though I've never had a fire issue with my old denim. Fabric breathes somewhat better than leather does and won't make the helmet into quite as bad of a sweat box as leather will.
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Thanks for all your guys suggestions I will just have to play around and find what works