Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Cutting fluid that won't freeze?

I am looking at buying a cheap 8in bandsaw with a cooling oil setup on. My question is is there a water soluble cutting oil that I can use that won't freeze? Or something I can do to the cutting oil that will make it not freeze?

Just get the RV antifreeze and add to your coolant as you would your car. I say the RV stuff because it is more "enviromentaly correct"

Won't the antifreeze cause the oil to separate from the water? That is what I was told by a couple of guys out this way.

Check with manufacture of band saw if required. I know ELLIS saws do not require and cutting fluid.

I just stir it from time to time, it never has done me wrong.

This saw needs it. The manufacturer just replied and told me to put it in a heated shop. I will only have a non heated trailer for it to live in. I will try the rv antifreeze idea if it hasn't been a problem for you guys. What ratio should I run it at with soluble oil?

can pick up a pan heater for a car. they are magnetic and work really well just put on the out side of the tank and your good to go.

heres what i use on my hydmech 20

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGI...de=TMR340-0017
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

Arc, how big is your coolant tank? This is a very good thread, because I'm sure there are plenty of us that only heat our shops when we work in them. What brand-type of coolant do you use?

i use MOBILCUT 102 in our saw and for most drilling applications. the tank on the saw holds about 3-4 gallons.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

Does the pan heater work in extreme cold? It's been around 0 and below with the windchill.